Charter Arms Bulldog .44 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Charter Arms Bulldog .44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetson View Post
I have the original charter house bull dog 44 spl made in the early 70's.
Mine has operated flawlessly .It weighs 21oz. empty how can you hate it ?
I paid $217 for mine as I wanted a powerful big bore revolver.My next one
will be S&W MODEL 29 44 mag as I like big and slow bullets.
If you want Big & Slow, you need to consider either 45 Colt, or 45ACP. A 44 Magnum is anything but slow. Many Magnum loads travel over 1400 FPS. That's hardly slow.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #12

I have one of the new Charter Arms Bulldogs in 44 Spec. It has been very reliable, and was the best gun that I could buy for the money.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #13

Worst revolver ever. SERIOUS design flaw, if the cylinder-release retainer screw TIGHTENS (blind tapped, so it can vibrate looser or tighter) during use, you'll get to the point where the cylinder release no longer functions and you can't swing the cylinder open to reload. The weapon also will not function because the hammer safety assumes the cylinder is swung open.

Fixed said problem and vibratite'd the retainer screw, but I no long trust the weapon at all. Better that it happened at the range than an 'oh sh!t' moment.

Fncking junk.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have never tried the Charter Bulldog 44. But I shoot 44 Specials in my 629 S&W all the time.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #15

Default Charter Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
Worst revolver ever. SERIOUS design flaw, if the cylinder-release retainer screw TIGHTENS (blind tapped, so it can vibrate looser or tighter) during use, you'll get to the point where the cylinder release no longer functions and you can't swing the cylinder open to reload. The weapon also will not function because the hammer safety assumes the cylinder is swung open.

Fixed said problem and vibratite'd the retainer screw, but I no long trust the weapon at all. Better that it happened at the range than an 'oh sh!t' moment.

Fncking junk.
You have me wondering now Kelly, did this happen to you recently? Was it one of the new guns? My .44sp. Bulldog Pug says "Charter2000" & "Made in Shelton, Conn.". I picked it up in '03 and its become one of my favorite guns to carry. It has never so much as hesitated to fire every time I've pulled the trigger shooting either single or double action. I have friends with older ones that recommend them highly but your story scares me. Have you heard if your problem has happened to others or could you have gotten a bad one? Anybody else had 'big' issues with Charter guns--especially the Charter2000? Thanks....... A

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post

Fncking junk.
I had 2 Bulldogs back in the 80's/early 90's. A blue one that was flawless, and a Stainless one that had the bbl shroud slide forward while firing. Red loctited it back on and it was fine after that.

Both of mine were "Pugs" with the shorter bbl.

If the problem you describe is common/possible it would sour me on owning another one. Because anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

What vintage was yours, and what does the factory say about the problem?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 AM   #17

I carried a Charter .38 back in the day as a CCW in the late 80's and never had a problem. So this issue isn't because I'm a Charter hater.

My exe's was a brand new (2004/5 at the time) Charter2000 ported .357 Pug. I approached the president of Charter at SHOT 2006 and told him what happened. He KNEW it as soon as I described it, but basically responded with 'well, we loctite them before they leave our facility'. He didn't care, didn't offer to follow up, or to take care of it. That was after he knew I was a writer. Dumberer. It is my belief due to his reaction that this is a known design flaw.

The problem is easy to diagnose (from memory, so bear with me). Open the cylinder, and look at the face where the firing pin would protrude. Directly below and to the right is a set screw. This screw retains the cylinder release. Take a jewelers screw driver and gently try to tightern or loosen the screw. If it moves at ALL (not securely locktite'd) you'll need to either remove the screw and locktite it or take it in to have a gunsmith secure it. Its not an easy fix and takes either amazing agility, 3 hands or two people working together.

That was the point I told her to sell it.

Last edited by KellyTTE; 11-11-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #18

Default bobkreeger

They kick like hell with even medium loads. The 180 gr bullet is as heavy as I can tolerate in this gun. Makes a great up close and personal weapon. Performance about equal to the .45 ACP.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

a friend of mine has one in the .44 sp. i think his is a 2inch barrel,5shot?

its been a while sense he and i shot that bulldog...i have to say it was pretty accurate being we where shooting cans with it 15 to 20yrds away...every shot found they're mark...it always went boom! when the trigger was pulled...of course to me it seemed like the trigger pull was alittle crewd...nuttin some light stoning and polishing wouldnt fix...of course if this was one of my carry guns i might wouldnt mind the little extra pull of the trigger before the hammer dropped?...i also was looking at one of these at the local gun shop...but i could'nt pass up the 400.00 price tag on what looked to be never fired used ruger redhawk in .44mag...i would say go for the charterarms if you can get a good deal on it...just shop around & you'll find a good deal....

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
a friend of mine has one in the .44 sp. i think his is a 2inch barrel,5shot?

its been a while sense he and i shot that bulldog...i have to say it was pretty accurate being we where shooting cans with it 15 to 20yrds away...every shot found they're mark...it always went boom! when the trigger was pulled...of course to me it seemed like the trigger pull was alittle crewd...nuttin some light stoning and polishing wouldnt fix...of course if this was one of my carry guns i might wouldnt mind the little extra pull of the trigger before the hammer dropped?...i also was looking at one of these at the local gun shop...but i could'nt pass up the 400.00 price tag on what looked to be never fired used ruger redhawk in .44mag...i would say go for the charterarms if you can get a good deal on it...just shop around & you'll find a good deal....
its a RIGHT!...not a privilege