charter arms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > charter arms

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default charter arms

anyone have experience with charter arms revolvers? i know they aren't horridly expensive, which is kinda the draw, but how do they hold up over time, and use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8928 Times on 3868 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Not bad. Not real great, but not bad. Definitely better than the RG revolvers of the 60s, better than the Lorcin/Jennings class of arm. If you are looking for something to shoot 300 rds every Saturday, would keep looking. Finish not as good as S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc- but again, not bad.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have a Charter Arms 32, that have had for 30 years and it is still great.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

keitho Likes This 
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKA View Post
Have a Charter Arms 32, that have had for 30 years and it is still great.
Ive heard that Charter isn't was it used to be. Now, I don't know if this is true, as I've never owned one, but it does go with what you have said.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not bad. Not real great, but not bad. Definitely better than the RG revolvers of the 60s, better than the Lorcin/Jennings class of arm. If you are looking for something to shoot 300 rds every Saturday, would keep looking. Finish not as good as S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc- but again, not bad.
im not looking for a real heavy use gun. as long as it will go bang when the triggers pulled, thats about what im looking for. it definitely wont see as many rounds as my s&w's, but it never hurts to have a reliable back up.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default CHARTER ARMS? I'd say look elsewhere's, same $

hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I agree with many of the Previous posts about Charter Arms! I have seen them come and seen them go? I had a 22 Survival Rifle they made, Horrible, it was crap and sold it off, got 3 more like it over 12 years about 1/2 were operational without a lot of work? I have owned an Undercover Model in 38SPCL, an Undercoverette in 32 Long and a Bulldog in 44SPCL, if your looking for a light, easy to carry handgun, that you shoot seldomely, but carry a lot, these will do the work! If you do shoot them a lot, many time, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS! I know many have had thiers for years, But Honestly, how many rounds in all that time? Most of the 38's snubs and others I've onwed from them , were lite duty made! carry was sweet, but shooting them always works, but in the long run, I sold them off? I was thinking about getting another, this time a New Charter 38, then I was looking in shotgun news and Found a Lot mbetter gun for the same money! Armscorp makes snub, 2" or a 4" model, not a snub, but by the same folks, I've had and now own the 2", it's the Model 206, Sarco usually carries them and out the door mine was about $200 news in box with a warranty! It's all steel 6 shot intead of 5, feels better, shoots better and costs about darn near what a Cahrter wil cost ya, that's just another option, Plus Charter has a Bad Habit of closing up shop and leaving ya hanging? Armscorp has been around a lot longer anfd though I'm not wild about all they make or import, there 200 series of revolvers are good! Just my .02 check it out and see what ya like better,. if ya need lighter and about Same $, Charter, if ya like an all steel frame, 6 shots and Feel of Colt Detective special, pick the Armsorp 206?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Unless you can find a very early one, don't buy one. The quality of the new and newer Charter Arms firearms is spotty at best. If you want a backup gun, you need 100% reliability. Don't trust your life to a Charter Arms handgun.

Find a used Smith or Colt or Sp101 or something. If you ever have to draw the weapon, it has to go bang right now.

Just my two cents.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
keitho Likes This 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you find a original Charter the barrel will be stamped "Stafford Conn" buy it for 200.00 or less,150.00 is better.
Charter Arms 2000 will do warranty work on it

Last edited by darrellkansas; 06-22-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: misspelled word
keitho Likes This 
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had an older Charter Bulldog .44spc. for quite a while , even took it out west once to this "shootin school" , the fellows out there were very adept and quite squared away , but they were a bit flummoxed by myself and my lil' pistol. They were pretty much Glock .40's or nuthin out there .

Anyway , the ol' Bulldog had a loong and rough double action pull , but single action was actually pretty sweet , and I could still make them range-monkeys gawk at the 5in. groups at 15yds. {trust me , that's tight with that pistol} , the gun was reliable , and fairly comfortable . It was no Ruger , but then it wasn't tryin to be either. I carried it for quite a while , and put a fair amount of pretty hot rounds through it , and it never really got any more play in it . All in all it was a good gun for the money {$195} and I kinda wish I hadn't sold it . The new ones , I haven't looked at yet , but I'm real interested in the .327 cartridge , so Charter may have an affordable way into it.

"What we have here , is ,, Failure to communicate,,,"

keitho Likes This 
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Charter

Have an old (bought it 40+ years ago) Charter .38 2"; remember shooting some reloads an ex-brother-in-law madefor a 6" S&W; didn't do that again! As with most of my guns, it has been carried more than it has been shot; I still throw it in the rig when traveling just because it is handy; of course, I prefer one of my .45s or .357 or .40 but Hell once in a while I toss in a .44 mag or even an old Colt 32-20. Don't know what the current Charters are like but this one has stood the test of time!