Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Can anyone help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone help?

I've been using handguns for more than thirty years, and have owned, carried, and used more than my share of semi-autos, but with the exception of a Colt SAA and a Blackhawk .44 Magnum I used extensively way too many years ago, I have little experience with revolvers, and zero experience with anything double action.

Anyway, while out on the shooting range recently, someone let me fire twenty-four rounds through a S&M Model 686 loaded with .357 Magnum rounds. I couldn't believe the groups I fired at twenty-five yards. By the fourth group, I could cover all six rounds with the palm of my hand. This not only from an unfamiliar handgun, but form an unfamiliar type of handgun.

It was the ease of firing those groups that surprised me. I was firing offhand, and the sights just seemed to line up on their own, and were steady as a rock. I fell in love.

My middle son and my nephew, bless their hearts, saw how much I loved shooting the 686, and just yesterday surprised me with one.

My questions are these. While my old standby and longtime favorite handgun is a 70 Series Colt Gold Cup, I have a bad shoulder that's going to take at many months to heal, and the Colt jars the heck out of it. For whatever reason, the 686 doesn't.

As I said, I have no experience with double action revolvers. Is the 686 loaded with .357 magnum considered a good weapon for full-time carry? What about when loaded with .38 Special +P rounds?

I really am a novice when it comes to double action, and this is also my first experience with the .357 or .38 Special +P. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And my right shoulder would be eternally grateful.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the weight and size of the 686 are not an issue for you, it's definitely a good carry gun. .38 was the standard police round for decades, and did it's job more than adequately. .38+P and .357 are even better.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
TOF

I feel protected with a 4" GP100 whether it is loaded with 38+P or full blown .357's.

Standard .38Spl is not as powerful but adequate and would take a bit more load off the shoulder.

I believe the high bore axis causes the wrist to take up much of the revolver recoil as compared to your Gold Cup.

Good luck

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

I think the 686 is one of the best .357 mags ever made. Big enough to handle a steady diet of full mag loads and mine has one of the best triggers of any gun I've ever known. You already experienced the inherent accuracy of the 686. Every one I've shot was an excellent shooter. What's there not to like!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #5

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the answers. I'm going to take the 686 out to the shooting range Wednesday and give it a good workout.

TOF, I believe you may be right about the high bore axis. I hadn't considered that, but it does seem my wrist absorbs more of the recoil. That may well be why my shoulder likes it so much.

I'm not sure how I avoided using a double action over the years, but I'm starting to think I missed a bet. Other than magazine capacity, which isn't a huge concern for me, I think I'm going to really like this 686, now that you all tell me it's an adequate defense weapon.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to have one as a duty carry with +p's, no problem what so ever. It will serve you well.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The 686 is a fine revolver. You can practice with .38's and save a few bucks and carry .38+P's or .357's. It will serve you well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My nightstand gun is a S&W 686+ 3 inch 7 shot .357 and I keep it loaded with .38 +Ps. The 686 is a great revolver and with just a little work, they can have a fantastic DA trigger as well...

Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
someone let me fire twenty-four rounds through a S&M Model 686
S&M, eh? Freudian slip?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
S&M, eh? Freudian slip?
Rats. I hate letting the cat out of the bag by accident!