Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Buying my first revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I woukd reccomemd a ruger or snw wheel gun 3-4" barrelany shorter you loise accuracy any longer it becomes a bulky pia to carry take my word for it 4"gives you all accuracy you will ever need and youll be much more likley to carry im a big advocate that everyone should own and start with a wheel gun but get a trusted name and think practically this is coming from someone who has owned many diff brands and sizes. Ove found ruger and snw are shurefire not to exclude taurus and rossi one in the same and ive had snubbies to 7" 44. Mag and i would rather have a snw 4" mod 66 its accurate easy to carry and your load versatility is awsome you can carry .38,.38p+p ,357 hallow poind lead head wad cutter ratshot you name it and if it misfires its because your ammos bad. Just check em out take the word of experience if you want to.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

While I do liek a couple of the Chiappa firearms the Rhino is not one of them. For the same money or close you can have any of a few different wheel guns and have a better gun.
Rugers GP100 is much better, Taurus makes a few pretty nice wheel guns, and with a little footwork getting a Smith and Wesson can be had. I think I have 350 in my 637-2 airweight. I have a couple older Smith revos that I know I don't have over 350 in either of them a piece (Mod 28-2 and 19-3 .357's). And frankly you will be hard pressed to get a better revolver than a Smith.

I shot a Chiappa Rhino once. After getting over the ascetics shooting it was not real comfortable or me. Admittedly it was one of the snubbys but I couldn't use that for an excuse for the poor groups I was getting. I used the same ammo in my air-weight and did great. I've seen one wit ha 6" bbl and did get to hold it (gun show). I just couldn't find the lovin' feelin' that I get form other revos.

The Ruger GP100 is built like a tank and the ones I've owned or shot did very well. I'd have no problem owning anther one. As for Taurus revos I lean to newer ones as they seem to have been better made. At least in the 357 models. As I said no way to go wrong wit ha Smith. Chiappa Rhino? I'd pass if it was me but maybe you'll have better time wit hit then I did.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #23

Liked 549 Times on 291 Posts

Thanks guys I'll try to get to the local shops and feel the out the revos you suggested.