Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Buying my first revolver? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/buying-my-first-revolver-84116/)

Sgt_Skrb_25 02-13-2013 05:03 PM

Buying my first revolver?

Gents,

I am buying my first revolver. I was checking out that Chiappa Rhyno, not sure what length yet. Does anyone have one of these? Opinions from owners?

Sgt_Skrb_25 02-13-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25
Gents,

I am buying my first revolver. I was checking out that Chiappa Rhyno, not sure what length yet. Does anyone have one of these? Opinions from owners?

Wish I could edit the thread title. Damn spell check!

Speezly 02-13-2013 05:16 PM

No experience with the Chiappa, but I would recommend looking into the Taurus revolvers. I've had a snub nose .38 with a crimson trace grip for about 6 years now and I love it.

Sgt_Skrb_25 02-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speezly
No experience with the Chiappa, but I would recommend looking into the Taurus revolvers. I've had a snub nose .38 with a crimson trace grip for about 6 years now and I love it.

That was the other one I was looking at. The 627 tracker. There's a $400 difference. I bought 5 guns and 2 safes this year, the old lady will kill me soon. might lean towards the Tarus.

winds-of-change 02-13-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1135930)
Wish I could edit the thread title. Damn spell check!

Fixed it for you.

Have you looked at any of the Ruger revolvers?

Sgt_Skrb_25 02-13-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Fixed it for you.

Have you looked at any of the Ruger revolvers?

Thank you sir. I haven't looked at the Rugers yet. Any recommendations? I was looking for something with at least a 5 inch barrel.

USMCjtm 02-13-2013 06:08 PM

Are you looking for a carry pistol, plinker......what about caliber? There are wheel barrows full of good quality revolvers in all flavors and colors...Give a little more information and this forum will give you four pages of recommendations.

Semper Fi

Overkill0084 02-13-2013 06:23 PM

I found the Chiappa Rhino a bit too odd for my tastes. They aren't exactly cheap either. The action is downright weird.
For similar or less $$, you can have any number of new or used S&Ws or Rugers.
Often overlooked but great revolvers:
For entertainment value, you might consider hunting down an old Dan Wesson revolver. Strong, accurate & if you don't like the barrel length, change it.
The original Colt Trooper is worthwhile if you find one in .357 mag. Same action as a Python without the underlug barrel and crazy pricing .
Ruger Security Six - robust and accurate.

This will offend some people but so be it: avoid Taurus. IMHO, their price isn't low enough any more to justify the compromises in quality they demand. And, yes, I own a Taurus.

orangello 02-13-2013 07:18 PM

As was asked, "what kind of revolver and for what purpose?"?

I love my Ruger GP100 in .357mag/.38special for plinking and may get to take it hog hunting someday, but i wouldn't want to try to conceal it. It is not a light-weight and has a 6" barrel.

The Rhyno does look interesting, but i'm thinking it is more of a gimmick gun.

winds-of-change 02-13-2013 07:21 PM

Like 'Gello, I have a 6" barrel Ruger GP100. Unlike 'Gello, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'plinking' revolver, but to each his own. I consider it my go to home defense gun. A GP100 is a sturdy, dependable work horse of a revolver. I don't know what caliber you are looking at, though.