bullet weight vs recoil in magnum revolvers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > bullet weight vs recoil in magnum revolvers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5818 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 402

there is a measurement missing. in car engines they have have torque which is the measure of power an engine has and horse power which is in a round-a-bout way the rate at which torque is built.

i used to have a 338 winmag and i simply did not enjoy shooting it. a very unpleasant round. my 458 winmag and 458 lott using full power loads is more pleasent than the 338 was. there is no doubt which is the more powerful round. and which generates more recoil.

with higher speed rounds the recoil force is applied in a far shorter duration.

if you load your own you can tailor rounds to suit your preference and tame down the rounds you shoot then hand the rube on the lane next to ya a full power load to "try" if they are giving ya hell.

i keep a few full power 458win mag 525 grainers handy for such folks. someone always has a smart comment about my big bore rifles so i let em try for themselves.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have Pach's (or Hogue's) for all of my revolvers as wood is for pictures - not shooting IMHO. Never tried a shooting glove but I will if I ever get another big bore revolver...
I was thinking about a pair and stumbled on a pair of Uncle Mikes at an outlet for $8. They are a nice soft leather with gel in the web of the thumb and all 5 fingers are left open. I was worried they would change my grip but they didn't at all. They really help my grip and absorb recoil. I shot my 44 for an hour yesterday with nothing but magnums without a problem.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #13

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Interesting Jim. My high school physics teacher would insist that the heavier bullet would cause more recoil. Is this a matter of perception in that the recoil impulse of the lighter round is "sharper" but actually less if it were measured?

(Also possible that Spitty is a sissy-boy )

Givin all the same conditions, the heavier bullet will recoil more, fact of physics. But, givin the shorter duration (barrel time) and faster acceleration of the lighter bullet, it will have a sharper felt recoil. Kinda like a slap in the face verses a heavy push. I worked-up a sheet of .357 loads for a magazine article way back in the seventies and had one 110 gr. load that clocked 1635 fps. out of a 6" Colt Trooper. The actual recoil of the gun was not that bad, but the felt recoil was brutally sharp. The 158gr. loads with the same powder (not the same charge wt.) had more actual recoil, but were more of a punch than a slap as far as felt recoil.

Jim.......

Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #14

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I find this similar perception when comparing the .40 S&W to the .45 ACP.

I will shoot my 45 all day long but after two mags of the 40, the fun has gone.

Lighter/faster vs Big and Slow.

Go BIG or porch plink! - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Grips and gloves = recoil control

Recoil control....I went thru about 8 different grips before I settled in on a Pachmayr Gripper for my Security Six 357 back in the '80's. Haven't had a revolver from '92 until last year. Got a Bisley in 45 Colt....with hot loads you want the wood grips so it doesn't torque your wrist! And as for a shooting glove, try the gel padded bike gloves with half fingers. Works great for me!

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!