Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > BRUTAL Wheelgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I called Smith & Wesson this afternoon and spoke to Tech Support about this brutal recoil. They said they get a lot of calls about it. The answer is... to change the 329PD grip over to the 500 Magnum grip. The 500 grip pads all the way around the backstrap and cushions that sharp recoil these pistols produce.

OK, that cost me $42.00 for the new grips... If it tames the pistol, I'm happy, but it brings up a point.

My "silly" thinking is; if they know about this problem, and they know the 500 grips will fix it... THEN why don't they PROVIDE THESE GRIPS with the friggin' gun!!!!
so the good folks at S&W can make an extra $42.00 of course

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the report. Yup, I think S&W should provide the upgraded grips out of the box.

I used to have a S&W model 29 Mountain Gun in .44 magnum. I loved it, but it was stout. I put 50 .44 Specials and 100 .44 magnums through it the first time I shot it. I wound up shooting the front sight loose.

Handguns like your 329 and the like are usually meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. Once it's dialed and you're comfortable with it. A cylinder or two every now and then should suffice. It's cheaper too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #23

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Indeed Mark, that grip should reduce the violent shock wave from them damn mini sabot rounds you are showing in that wheel cylinder.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's the bottom line.

The 500 Magnum grips really tame the recoil down, but its still a beast to shoot with hot magnums. At least now I can shoot 25 to 30 super hot +P+ loads before my hand gets numb. Gawd, I just love this gun! My shooting buddies won't touch it... unless I put 44 specials in it. What a bunch of pussies!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #25

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Here's the bottom line.

The 500 Magnum grips really tame the recoil down, but its still a beast to shoot with hot magnums. At least now I can shoot 25 to 30 super hot +P+ loads before my hand gets numb. Gawd, I just love this gun! My shooting buddies won't touch it... unless I put 44 specials in it. What a bunch of pussies!
Sounds like its time to get some new shooting buddies, say next saturday?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #26

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The Model 329PD is a lightweight revolver, built strong enough to handle the .44 Magnum cartridge. Its light weight is its long suite. Try finding the right combination of cartridge and bullet weight. First of all I get rid of rubber grips, and go to good walnut or rosewood grips, smooth, with no checkering. Try using a .44 Special load with 180gr or 200 grain bullets.

If you can't find a suitable load for the gun, one that you would not depend upon to do the job at then, then get a heavier revolver.

I have done pretty much the same with the S&W Model 442, until I found a .38 Special load with 110gr. bullets for Personal Defense. But finally went to a heavier .357 Magnum as I didn't trust that light bullet load for social carry.

Bob Wright

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hi Bob!

Well, I took the 329PD to the range today and I tried several different loads. I shot 180 grain up to 255 grain Magnums, and all of them hurt like hell. Even the Buffalo Bore "lower Recoil" Magnums kicked like an angry mule. 20 rounds was all I could take even with the 500 Magnum grips on the pistol AND shooting gloves.

So then I switched to .44 specials. I shot a box of 50 180 grain, and a box of 50 200 grain. These were FUN to shoot! The .44 Specials still have a fair amount of recoil in this light-weight revolver, but it's very tollerable. I sort of favor the 200 grain CCI Blazers. These are cheap, they are accurate, and don't hurt my hand.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

After several trips to the gun-range and a very sore thumb, I have designated my 329PD as a .44 Special only, pistol. I will throw Magnums in it occasionally, just to brutalize "macho" shooters hands.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #29

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
After several trips to the gun-range and a very sore thumb, I have designated my 329PD as a .44 Special only, pistol. I will throw Magnums in it occasionally, just to brutalize "macho" shooters hands.
At my age, I don't need to "brutalize" my hands any more. You apparently are using only factory loaded ammunition? I worked up several good .44 Special loads years ago. The really brutal stuff doesn't allow much recovery for fast repeat shots. And, by virtue of reloading, you can tame down the Magnum loads to workable recoil levels. I have one .44 Magnum load that throws a 240 gr. bullet out at 1200 fps which is super accurate and manageable.

Bob Wright

Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What reason would a person shoot +P 44 magnums? especially at paper?

It's a 44magnum!! What, are you shooting grizzlies?

Great report Mark, I'd love to come shooting with you.