BRUTAL Wheelgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > BRUTAL Wheelgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
The S&W329 PD comes in the Alaska model which has the factory Hoague grips. I assume you have bought the 329 PD HIVIS with the wood grips. Any mag pistol I ever had the first thing I would do is throw away the wood grips and put on a set of Hoague's. May not look as nice but much more comfortable and functional to shoot. I think when you put your new grips on she'll really be sweet to shoot.
Sorry, but your assumption is incorrect.

My 329PD HIVIS came with BOTH the wood grips AND the Hogue Monogrips. I put the Hogue Monogrips on before firing a single shot.

The 500 Magnum grips cover the backstrap with soft rubber padding, as illustrated here. It's the backstrap that eats flesh.
329pd_hivis.jpg   500magnum.jpg  

Last edited by Mark F; 08-12-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The problem with Hogue's is they leave the backstrap uncovered and are well cushioned ONLY in the front of the grip. I've found that Pachmayr Decellerators really help as they cover and cushion the backstrap - which helps tame the recoil. The S&W 500 grips are the only Hogue's I'm aware of with a covered backstrap...

Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
No big deal, it just peeled the skin back. One good dab of Super Glue and I'll be OK, except for the minor swelling and sore joints. I've had worse than this on my pecker...
Gee, that's-just-peachy. A little too much info...thanks.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The problem with Hogue's is they leave the backstrap uncovered and are well cushioned ONLY in the front of the grip. I've found that Pachmayr Decellerators really help as they cover and cushion the backstrap - which helps tame the recoil. The S&W 500 grips are the only Hogue's I'm aware of with a covered backstrap...
I believe that the Taurus Raging Bull series comes with the padded backstrap. But those are Hogue-like and fairly short.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #15

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Sorry, but your assumption is incorrect.

My 329PD HIVIS came with BOTH the wood grips AND the Hogue Monogrips. I put the Hogue Monogrips on before firing a single shot.

The 500 Magnum grips cover the backstrap with soft rubber padding, as illustrated here. It's the backstrap that eats flesh.
Ooops! MY BAD!

My 629 has hogue grips on it, but I have replaced them many times since I bought this pistol in 1996. The little plastic nylon like tangs that held the prior grips on the hanlde frame would distort and crack and the griips prior to the last one I bought would come terribly loose and even slip off. Although it has been many years since I replaced the grips on this pistol the Hogue grips I have cover the backstrap of my 629. They are also not the S&W factory Hogue grips the pistol came with. To be totally honest I can't remember if the original grips on my 629 covered the backstrap or not. I think the last Hogue grips I bought for this 629 was in 2002. Other pistols I've had in magnum calibers I had replaces wood grips with Pachmyers or Hogue grips.

Well you know what they say when a person tends to A$$ U ME. This time it made a A$$ out of ME.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Ooops! MY BAD!

My 629 has hogue grips on it, but I have replaced them many times since I bought this pistol in 1996. The little plastic nylon like tangs that held the prior grips on the hanlde frame would distort and crack and the griips prior to the last one I bought would come terribly loose and even slip off. Although it has been many years since I replaced the grips on this pistol the Hogue grips I have cover the backstrap of my 629. They are also not the S&W factory Hogue grips the pistol came with. To be totally honest I can't remember if the original grips on my 629 covered the backstrap or not. I think the last Hogue grips I bought for this 629 was in 2002. Other pistols I've had in magnum calibers I had replaces wood grips with Pachmyers or Hogue grips.

Well you know what they say when a person tends to A$$ U ME. This time it made a A$$ out of ME.
No big deal, trust me! My 629 came with Hogue grips and the backstrap is exposed. However, the 629 is heavy enough to absorb a lot of the Magnum shock thus making it much more enjoyable to shoot.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #17

OK, so, I'll stick to my Rugers and Uberti. Sorry about your hand Mark.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #18

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
No big deal, trust me! My 629 came with Hogue grips and the backstrap is exposed. However, the 629 is heavy enough to absorb a lot of the Magnum shock thus making it much more enjoyable to shoot.
+1 on that! And it probably helps that my 629 has the 6 1/2" barrel on it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
+1 on that! And it probably helps that my 629 has the 6 1/2" barrel on it.
There is no comparison between my 629 and my new 329. With the 329 being 1/2 the weight it makes an excellent carry. However, my 629 is much more friendly to shoot.

I will get the 329 dialed in for magnums, once my 500 grips are on it. Also, Buffalo Bore makes Magnum ammo specifically for the 329, that's "supposed" to be low recoil.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I received my S&W 500 Magnum grips, and they fit perfectly. These grips completely cover the backstrap, and should reduce the violent shockwave from this light frame.

I will be taking the 329PD out for a "test drive" today.

grips.jpg