Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   BRUTAL Wheelgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/brutal-wheelgun-16852/)

Mark F 08-12-2009 07:49 PM

BRUTAL Wheelgun

1 Attachment(s)
I got a chance to try out my new S&W 329PD today. To get comfortable with it, I shot 24 rounds of 44 Special, 200 grain Jacketed hollow points. At 7 yards I was keeping a fairly clean 4" pattern. I did notice the pistol had a reasonably sharp snap even with .44 Specials. This gun has substancially more recoil as compared to my 629 shooting 44 Specials.

OK, I thought I might consider using my padded shooting gloves for the Magnums... IT DIDN'T HELP! This pistol still peeled the skin off my thumb on the second shot, right through my gloves!

I have shot many 44 Magnums, and I own a lot of 44 Magnums. I have shot 500 Magnums many times. I have even shot 330 grain +P+ .44 Magnums, but I have never shot a 44 Magnum or even a 500 Magnum that recoils like this pistol does! This thing is BRUTAL with 240 grain Magnums. Not only is my thumb cut, its also swolen up nicely. I only shot 5 Magnum rounds, and said fuk this, and put 44 Specials back in it.

I shot a total of 50 rounds of .44 Specials, and 5 rounds of 240 grain Magnums today, and my hand feels like I shot over 1000 rounds.

Other than its extremely unforgiving recoil, its reasonably accurate. But I got tired fast from this gun, and I began shooting sloppy. It was time to call it a day...

Here is a sample of my 7 yard off-hand shooting. You can tell I was getting tired... and sloppy.

Shotgun Shooter 08-12-2009 07:52 PM

Very nice work!
That was your off hand?

S.S.

spittinfire 08-12-2009 08:09 PM

Sounds like a good time!! Can I shoot it?

stalkingbear 08-12-2009 08:22 PM

So are you ready to sell it to me yet?:)

skullcrusher 08-12-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 143333)
Very nice work!
That was your off hand?

S.S.

Off-hand means unsupported as opposed to off rest, sitting, prone, etc. :)

Mark,

Nice report. I hope the thumb gets better soon. You will need it for the next range report. :D

orangello 08-12-2009 08:29 PM

No thumb pic? :p

Mark F 08-12-2009 08:39 PM

I called Smith & Wesson this afternoon and spoke to Tech Support about this brutal recoil. They said they get a lot of calls about it. The answer is... to change the 329PD grip over to the 500 Magnum grip. The 500 grip pads all the way around the backstrap and cushions that sharp recoil these pistols produce.

OK, that cost me $42.00 for the new grips... If it tames the pistol, I'm happy, but it brings up a point.

My "silly" thinking is; if they know about this problem, and they know the 500 grips will fix it... THEN why don't they PROVIDE THESE GRIPS with the friggin' gun!!!!

Mark F 08-12-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 143333)
Very nice work!
That was your off hand?

S.S.

Yes sir, off-hand... If I wasn't so dammned tired from those magnums, I could have held a tighter group. It's still a good group, though.

Mark F 08-12-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 143352)
Off-hand means unsupported as opposed to off rest, sitting, prone, etc. :)

Mark,

Nice report. I hope the thumb gets better soon. You will need it for the next range report. :D

No big deal, it just peeled the skin back. One good dab of Super Glue and I'll be OK, except for the minor swelling and sore joints. I've had worse than this on my pecker...

My new 500 grips should be here Monday, then it's back to the range.

mrm14 08-12-2009 08:54 PM

The S&W329 PD comes in the Alaska model which has the factory Hoague grips. I assume you have bought the 329 PD HIVIS with the wood grips. Any mag pistol I ever had the first thing I would do is throw away the wood grips and put on a set of Hoague's. May not look as nice but much more comfortable and functional to shoot. I think when you put your new grips on she'll really be sweet to shoot.