Bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #31
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 682

You will soon be known as Dangerous Don from Orygun. Are you going thigh or high angle cross draw?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You will soon be known as Dangerous Don from Orygun. Are you going thigh or high angle cross draw?
Dang! You're a poet and don't know it.

Actually while wandering around the shop I found a used bandoleer holster with a California Slim holster that fits it perfectly. I got it for fifty bucks.

I'll post pics as soon as I pick them up. My background check got a delay. I guess it's because my drivers license and residence are so new.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #33

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I am sure you will be removing the rubber grips. Rubber grips are cheap to make and sell you can mold rubber to fit any thing. You will soon discover that when pulling the the big six-gun from the holster it is very slow to adjust the point of aim as you hand rises to the target. The rubber clings to the hand or glove. The rubber will eat on you hand under heavy recoil. These big 6 guns going back over the past 150 years are stocked smooth by their owners. There was and is a reason for smooth grips on a big single action.
Is this because the grip angle of an S/A revolver differs from the grip angle of a D/A revolver?

I ask because I've never fired a big bore S/A but do own and have extensively shot my D/A S&W 629 .44 Mag. It's the SS Mounain Gun Version w/factory rubber grips and while it's a handful with full house loads, I've never found them to be uncomfortable?

Of course, these grips are open at the back so the web of the hand is resting on the SS backstrap. I mostly fire it S/A and may well be getting the "roll" efect you describe above?

Tack
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hi Tack, good to see you. I had a 6" 629 and a 4" 29 and they just don't roll in the hand like a single action. There's some muzzle flip, but it's much more noticeable with a single action. Once upon a time I also had a couple of .44 OM Vaquero's and of course they rolled too. It's just different, not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I'm going to carry Buffalo Bore 340gr, +P+'s. They're gonna' roll like a canoe in a hurricane.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
canebrake Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #35

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hi Tack, good to see you. I had a 6" 629 and a 4" 29 and they just don't roll in the hand like a single action. There's some muzzle flip, but it's much more noticeable with a single action. Once upon a time I also had a couple of .44 OM Vaquero's and of course they rolled too. It's just different, not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I'm going to carry Buffalo Bore 340gr, +P+'s. They're gonna' roll like a canoe in a hurricane.
I've been jonesing for a Vaquero for A LONG TIME but the cost of staying in ammo over the last 5 years has stimied that acquisition...well that, AND giving the wifey 2 more babies in the same amount of time...

Oh well...one day.

Tack
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Try and get an Old Model when you finally get one. If I could have gotten an OM Vaquero in .44 mag, I'd be talking about it instead of the Blackhawk. They are just a very appealing and handsome revolver.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #37

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post

If you don't mind a little education for your less informed mates here... could you explain "roll" and "flip" in the context of your post??
I'd surely appreciate it!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

I ended up putting houge monogrips on both of my single actions. Controlling recoil has never been an issue but my wrists breaking early has been an issue. The monogrips corrected the issue with my wrists. Less than 24 shots stopped the occasional round from hitting the dirt 6 feet in front of the target. I also got away from the weaver stance for the Isosceles stance. In a gun fight a weaver stance is better because you present a smaller target to you opponent. What is weird with a semi-auto I do better from a weaver stance. I have far less experience with a semi-auto than a single action.

I guess my experience proves that old injuries and physical condition can force one to change tactics. Both of my hands have been broken and two fingers have been severed to be reattached by doctors. My right thumb got nailed to a 2 x 4 which split the bone in my thumb. These old injuries have lead to a lot of arthritis in my hands. When my hands really hurt I roll a frozen water bottle to get them limber again. You can hear the calcified joints popping free.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I ended up putting houge monogrips on both of my single actions. Controlling recoil has never been an issue but my wrists breaking early has been an issue. The monogrips corrected the issue with my wrists. Less than 24 shots stopped the occasional round from hitting the dirt 6 feet in front of the target. I also got away from the weaver stance for the Isosceles stance. In a gun fight a weaver stance is better because you present a smaller target to you opponent. What is weird with a semi-auto I do better from a weaver stance. I have far less experience with a semi-auto than a single action.

I guess my experience proves that old injuries and physical condition can force one to change tactics. Both of my hands have been broken and two fingers have been severed to be reattached by doctors. My right thumb got nailed to a 2 x 4 which split the bone in my thumb. These old injuries have lead to a lot of arthritis in my hands. When my hands really hurt I roll a frozen water bottle to get them limber again. You can hear the calcified joints popping free.
Geez John, that doesn't sound good. I'm an old carpenter and while I had injuries over the years, I managed to keep all my digits intact. Unfortunately Arthritis runs in my family and I have to deal with that.

Colby, When you fire a handgun the gases escaping the muzzle cause the front end of the barrel to flip upwards. That's muzzle flip. Rolling is the motion of the recoil of the shot. Because of the grip shape, a spade grip such as on a single action, the grip "rolls." On a 1911, there's a bit of flip, but the recoil is more of a push back. It comes down to gun design and shape of the grip.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #40

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

CA357 I would be most interested in how the 340 Grs. bullets work in the SBH. I am shooting a 320 grs. cast from a custom mold. I pour these from 50/50 Range lead to Linotype. These are the most accurate .44 loads I have ever used. I shoot these in a S&W Mdl. 29-2 4".

s-w-29.jpg