Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Bought "my" first revolover today, kind of...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bought "my" first revolover today, kind of...

So I was at one of my local gun ranges on Friday, and a revolver caught my eye. It was a S&W 642, custom tuned with ported barrel and black finish, .38 SP. I asked one of the knowledgeable associates there if he thought it would make a good concealed carry gun for my wife, instead of a Springfield XD9. He said absolutely. It's simpler, less to go wrong, less things to snag, no slide that needs space to snap back, no magazines to jam, and it's light enough to not notice.

So, I take my wife there today and she likes it. Grips are good, and the gun doesn't way too much. Too bad she can't shoot it for another 7 months, as she's pregnant (lead poisoning...).

I never thought I'd buy a revolver, but I like this one, so much, that I think I want to buy a similar one to carry myself in my pocket. I purchased a Galco pocket holster for it, and I stuck it in my pocket as soon as I got home. It's so light that I FORGOT that I was carrying a gun with me after 30 minutes... which reminds me, that's a gun in my pocket and not a wallet.

SO, what "extras" do I need for my S&W 642? I already purchased Hornady self-defense rounds, P and +P, as well as a Galco leather pocket holster.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Good grips and practice,,, practice,,, practice,,,, then your wife can shoot it some,,,,, sounds like an excellent piece.

Jeff

Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
Good grips and practice,,, practice,,, practice,,,, then your wife can shoot it some,,,,, sounds like an excellent piece.

Jeff
So I need to get different grips for it? What are some good ones that are out there? Web links would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Most factory grips on J frame Smiths are uncomfortable to me,, I like the Pachy's personally. If the grips are suitable for you and your wife, I would keep them, Midway, Natchez, and Cabela's have many offerings. I got rid of a 3" S&W model 36 years ago,,, a big mistake, little gem was a great shooter. Have fun and maybe get some reloading dies, the way ammo seems to be going up.

Jeff

Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have Houge Grips on several of my guns.

Hogue, Inc. | www.getgrip.com | The finest gun grips, rifle stocks and accessories

Good grips.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try the factory grips for a while, you might like them. They are small and conceal really well.

The 642 is a great wheelgun for constant carry, if you get a second one for yourself, consider buying one without the ported barrel. Personally, I think it's a bad idea on a self defense gun, especially one that might be fired closed to the shooter's body or at night. You don't need more noise, flash and hot gases coming out of your gun.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Try the factory grips for a while, you might like them. They are small and conceal really well.

The 642 is a great wheelgun for constant carry, if you get a second one for yourself, consider buying one without the ported barrel. Personally, I think it's a bad idea on a self defense gun, especially one that might be fired closed to the shooter's body or at night. You don't need more noise, flash and hot gases coming out of your gun.
I thought about the muzzle flash, and decided that it was an ok exchange for less felt recoil with standard "P" loads. Anything that helps follow up shots is worth it. Doesn't Hornady make ammo that has less muzzle flash?

And I just might keep the factory grips for a while. They're wide enough as it is for pocket carry...

Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is a sweet wheel gun, I've been wanting one for awhile just can't get it until better times. Congrats on the purchase and even more congrats on the babby to come

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been carrying the S&W 642 around the house in my pocket and I like it, a LOT. I think I just might get a Ruger sp101 for my wife to stick in her purse. I don't think she'll notice the extra 10 ounces, and the extra weight will probably help the recoil anyways.

The Galco holster is OK, but does anyone know of better pocket holsters for my gun? I don't like the way it sits in my pocket, it leaves the grip exposed frequently in most of my pants, and I have large pockets...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Um..... you DO know that Winchester makes a "super clean" NT 38 Special cartridge? No lead exposure. NT= non toxic.

Only other accessories that come to mind are cleaning gear and a speed loader. I like revolvers myself.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.