Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   blowback in face? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/blowback-face-99300/)

PrimePorkchop 10-22-2013 03:13 AM

blowback in face?

got a new Taurus 44 mag revolver... soon after i got it, had to send it in to get the hammer refinished ...

after getting it back... i got to take it out once, shot it several times, and each time was getting hit... rather hard... in the face with what i believe was unspent powder

one shot honest to god drew blood on my left cheek... every shot stung like hell

obviously not typical... any ideas where to start to fix this?

SSGN_Doc 10-22-2013 03:26 AM

Other than telling you to buy a Smith and Wesson, the problem probably lies in the timing and not having the cylinder chambers line up directly with the barrel. This will cause bullets to get shaved. Those shavings fly to the sides and rearward like little ricochets. Send the gun back to Taurus again and have them time the gun.

texaswoodworker 10-22-2013 03:28 AM

Was it doing this before it was sent in for repairs? What ammo are you using? Does the gap between the cylinder and the barrel/forcing cone look abnormally large? I've been hit by blow back from revolvers a few times, but never that hard or frequently.

phideaux 10-22-2013 03:29 AM

Sounds like you got cylinder timing problem, causing cylinder alignment to be off.
(Check for solid lockup of cylinder with hammer back. Should be NO movement.)

Shaving the bullets and causing schrapnel deflection,
I aint a gunsmith, but I have seen this problem.

Unload gun ,of course, and look down barrel very carefully and see if cyl is off center.

I would not shoot that gun , until problem is corrected.

Jim

towboater 10-22-2013 03:45 AM

That aint good. I send it back.

deathkricket 10-22-2013 04:49 AM

I have gone threw more then a few revolvers from rugers to EEA and some black powder and I will say over all getting some blow back to the face is " normal " as the buring powder slips out of the forcing cone but if it is drawing blood then take a good look at the forcing cone to see if it is shaved to one side or another but I agree with the timing issue. Customer service will glady look at your gun but the turn around time can be kinda long with them.

danf_fl 10-22-2013 06:18 AM

I would send it back to Taurus

They played with the hammer and when parts got messed with, there is a possibility that timing got out of whack.

PrimePorkchop 10-23-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phideaux (Post 1409363)
Sounds like you got cylinder timing problem, causing cylinder alignment to be off.
(Check for solid lockup of cylinder with hammer back. Should be NO movement.)

Shaving the bullets and causing schrapnel deflection,
I aint a gunsmith, but I have seen this problem.

Unload gun ,of course, and look down barrel very carefully and see if cyl is off center.

I would not shoot that gun , until problem is corrected.

Jim

with the hammer back, there is slight side to side movement, and when looking at it down the barrel, you can see where it would possibly be shaving.

Have tried contacting Taurus Customer Service - again - still waiting to hear back.

But thank you all for the responses.

TheSadPanda 10-23-2013 07:39 AM

Both of my revolvers have some small play in the cylinder rotation regardless of hammer position. Anything i should be concerned about?

deathkricket 10-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda (Post 1410569)
Both of my revolvers have some small play in the cylinder rotation regardless of hammer position. Anything i should be concerned about?

All revolvers have small play in the cylinder, thats the reason for the forcing cone which is just slightly larger then chamber. Only when your play becomes to much for the forcing cone is when bad things start to happen like splitting your frame or shooting the barrel out of the gun. With the play in the cylinder you should still be lined up with the cone.