Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Blew Up my GP100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #41
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 442

A bad round is not limited to reloads. It can happen in factory new ammo. It is really sickening when a gun goes bang, bang, bang and then boom. At least Patriot is paying for the gun which is more than I can say for the factory which I am leaving nameless but not blameless. I have shot thousands of rounds of commercial reloads without a problem.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1755 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411 View Post
Patriot Ammunition. But I will say their initial reaction has been very professional. I sent photos, witness statements and they have said they will take care of it. While I wont shoot reloads again, at least this company isnt shirking their responsibility.
Thank you for posting that info. It's nice to know in this day and age that someone still stands behind their product.

I do have a suggestion. It's my opinion that even though this is not their fault, it might be nice to let Ruger know about this, too. Who knows? It may give them ideas for making future products even better than they already are.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 882 Posts
Likes Given: 1897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Thank you for posting that info. It's nice to know in this day and age that someone still stands behind their product.

I do have a suggestion. It's my opinion that even though this is not their fault, it might be nice to let Ruger know about this, too. Who knows? It may give them ideas for making future products even better than they already are.
Mick, you could send them the documentation photos and some of your descriptive posts. Also, considering how stand up Patriot has been, you could ask them to send the damaged gun to Ruger when they are through with it. Though I have a hard time imagining Ruger being able to make the GP100 any tougher than it already is.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #44

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That does it for me. No reloads of any kind anymore.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2192 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 195

People being down on reloads is kind of funny. This was commercially manufactured ammo in every way except that they were doing it with used, mixed brass. While one can use the term "reloads" with this ammo, it's not really the same. The same thing could happen with a box of UMC if their QC was bad that day.
My father went his whole life seeing only one kaboom. It was a guy using new factory ammo in a brand new S&W revolver. This was approx 5 minutes after saying that he would never use reloads in his guns, "too much of a risk" he said.
Excrement occurs, any ammo can ruin you prized handgun if something goes wrong, factory fresh, commercial reloads, Bubba in the basement. The sad fact is, you're never more than one errant/extra powder throw away from disaster, regardless of who's running the equipment or the number of times the brass has been used.
Sad thing, the end of the GP-100. However, it is gratifying that Patriot has stepped up and owned it. That's fairly rare these days. I'm sure any number of other companies would have had the legal dept throw up roadblocks, obfuscate and delay until the victim gave up.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6144 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 7016

Very well said, OK84.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3690 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
People being down on reloads is kind of funny. This was commercially manufactured ammo in every way except that they were doing it with used, mixed brass. While one can use the term "reloads" with this ammo, it's not really the same. The same thing could happen with a box of UMC if their QC was bad that day.
My father went his whole life seeing only one kaboom. It was a guy using new factory ammo in a brand S&W revolver. This was approx 5 minutes after saying that he would never use reloads in his guns, "too much of a risk" he said.
Excrement occurs, any ammo can ruin you prized handgun if something goes wrong, factory fresh, commercial reloads, Bubba in the basement. The sad fact is, you're never more than one errant/extra powder throw away from disaster, regardless of who's running the equipment or the number of times the brass has been used.
Sad thing, the end of the GP-100. However, it is gratifying that Patriot has stepped up and owned it. That's fairly rare these days. I'm sure any number of other companies would have had the legal dept throw up roadblocks, obfuscate and delay until the victim gave up.
Well said brother. However, I feel like it will, unfortunately, fall on deaf ears.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #48

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry, could you speak up? I am having trouble hearing you. Must be Glock ear.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #49

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Ruger is proofed the same way all other American guns are tested. Every ammunition company has had guns blow up as well. There are also cases of flaws or fractures in firearms steel that blows out after many stresses.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 613 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 237

I didn't think it was possible to blow up a GP100.

Good to know the shooter is OK and getting a new gun from the ammo manufacturer.

Be vewy, vewy careful with reloads. Loosing the gun is bad, but it's hard to replace your fingers and eyesight.