Black widows
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Black widows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
PRM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Black widows

Good score this week. I started off with a NIB North American Arms (NAA) Black Widow in .22 LR. Got it home and the wife really, really liked it. Well, what was I to do? Anytime the wife wants a gun - that's a good thing.

Next, I did a little searching and found another one LNIB (99%) in .22 LR/.22 Mag at a super low price. Got the gun, both cylinders, two sets of grips, and a concealment holster for $289.00. Now we are both happy.

Finding .22s has been a little hard, but my search has not been all a loss. Even found some .22 Mags. The convertible (.22LR/.22Mag) is mine. Although, I am not really convinced the mag is that much better of a round out of a 2 inch barrel. I'll probably keep the LR cylinder in it most of the time.

Hoping to get to the range this week with them, more later...

img_0404.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Very nice!!! I've been seeing more of these NAA pistols popping up lately. They seem well made and are stainless steel.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I love the look of the guns, pretty neat! Let us know how they shoot.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I have an NAA mini revolver. Mine is not the Black Widow. But it is quite similar. Mine has both cylinders. It is a really well made gun. I haven't shot it that much. But I have shot it enough to know that it shoots great. I have maybe 100 rounds or so through mine. They are not range guns. With 22 mag they are actually hard to hold onto. My wife thought mine was awesome until she put one round of 22lr through it. She never shot it again.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Congrats on the new guns. Always a good time, getting new toys for ourselves and wives.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

Liked 510 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Alright, I'm always wanting to learn more.

I've seen these little guns at shows and was always curious how they work. Are they single-action only? Does cocking the hammer basically engage the trigger. Enlighten those of us who know little about these things.

They don't appear to be my cup of tea, but maybe what I lack is education. Regardless, I'd just like to know more about them.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CrazedJava...

Yep, they are a dedicated single action. Cocking the hammer engages the trigger. I have owned several of the late 1800 S&Ws and a C&B Pocket Remington with the spur trigger, and, I kind of like em. With the spur trigger, the single action kind of negates the purpose of a trigger guard. It slims the profile and makes for and easier concealment.

I've looked at the NAA minis for years, and although the concept always grabbed me, the functionality didn't. The traditional NAA birds head grip was too small for my hands and just didn't feel right. The Black Widow is another story. The grip is great, the two inch flat topped barrel with enhanced sights bring this small gun into another category.

The fit, finish, and quality of this little gun are more than could be expected for the price. The only down side that I see is that reloading will be a little slow - but when SHTF, are you really going to have time for a reload on a "close quarters" handgun??? Maybe, maybe not.

Shot placement would definitely be critical with a .22, but, then I have never been one to hold to a guaranteed one shot stop with any caliber. At 3-5 yards its hard to miss.

Since we are on the .22. I grew up in the rural South. My first rifle and handgun were both .22s. Every farmer I knew had either a .22 rifle or handgun in their pick-up. We shot every thing that needed shooting with them. Rabbits and squirrels were a given, so were coyotes and feral dogs that bothered livestock. At hog killing time, they put more than their share of bacon, sausage, and ham, up for the winter. The .22 has been a staple for most of my life. Some folks say they are unreliable? I've had just about as many bad primers as I have had bad rim fires. Internet legends are hard too die, and a lot of folks spend more time on the keyboard than they do on the range or in the field. Personally, I'm just as comfortable with a .22 as any other caliber within their design. Now, having said that, if I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I bring my big bore rifle.

Not sure how the Black Widow is going to perform. I will be posting a range report and review as soon as I get it to the range. But, so far I am impressed with what I have seen, both with the quality build of the gun and other reviews.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I have several NAA mini revolvers. When I can't carry a bigger gun, I'll have a Pug with me. You did good

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Liked 510 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I may have to take another look at these. Still think I'd prefer a pocket auto in .380 ACP but it's nice to have options. My one hang-up is that I will never carry something with only 2 shots, so in general I have passed these over as they are typically classified as "Derringers" despite functioning more like revolvers. However, 5 rounds of .22 WMR is better than nothing.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain