Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Best Trail Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Glock 20sf

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #72

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The only worry when out in a trail is about Bear. Here in the northeast we only have Black Bears,Which at times can be as dangerous as anything. So when I am out in the woods etc. I pack my S&W M29 in 44 mag, With some hand loaded hard cast Kieth 250 gr bullets. over 22. grs of 2400 powder

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1680

Whenever the weather permits wearing a jacket, I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag with a 6 1/2" barrel in the Boonies. If too warm, a S&W Model 58, a .41 Mag with a 4" barrel under a loose untucked shirt. I prefer .41 because it has a flatter trajectory than a .44 Mag, and nearly equal energy.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #74

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
If you shoot a bear, you better be damned sure you're going to kill it. A pissed of bear is not something you want to deal with. Depending on what kind of wildlife you're dealing with, the minimum I'd be willing to carry in true "bear country" is a .44 mag.
This guy used a .45 on a grizzley. http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/grizbearshotmay10.htm

Theo
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #75

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

AKAJITSU, just love the Mdl. 58 .41 Mag. I had one for many years marked SFPD on the side plate. It shot dead on at 25 Yds. with its fixed sights. These guns were made for LEOs I traded mine off bad. They are too high now if you can find one.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #76

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I was amazed by the anti-gun mentality of the über hikers. How do you determine if a bear isu bluffing ? How close does the bear have to be ? How much asset damage before you defend yourself ?

Or are we expected to slug it out w bear - bare handed ? Even w a handgun! which is a defensive weapon, the odds are not in our favor.
If the bear charges you and stops 20 to 15 feet away from you and chomps his teeth and turns his head from side to side, its a mock charge. if he keeps coming at you, prepare to be scat.
If the bear is a black bear, then fight it to the death. Defend yourself and try to hit hit its snout. if it is a brown bear, drop on your stomach and cover the back of your neck with both hands and let it bite you until it leaves. if you move before it is finished biting you, he will keep biting you until you bleed out.

Even a mock charge will scare the daylights out of you.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #77

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

But a mock charge can turn into a real one if you respond wrongly. And wrong can mean many different things on the situation.

Like that one guy in yellowstone a while ago. Bear charged stopped, he backed away slowly and dropped his pack. What he didn't know was he was going in the right direction in the first place. When he started backing up he was backing towards where he had just passed her cub.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #78
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
For years when I was doing a LOT of hiking/prospecting I carried a
(don't laugh) Charter Arms Target Bulldog.

4" 5 shot .357 Magnum, adjustable sights, darned thing only weighed
maybe 16 oz.? Long enough barrel to actually hit something, and
light enough to pack all day.

Too bad S&W doesn't do the lightweight .357 J frame in a 4" or even
6" gun with adjustable sights. It would make an ideal little trail
gun.

What's wrong with a Smith & Wesson Model 10? 5 shot, 357 magnum. I've carried one for years... no issues.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1680

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
AKAJITSU, just love the Mdl. 58 .41 Mag. I had one for many years marked SFPD on the side plate. It shot dead on at 25 Yds. with its fixed sights. These guns were made for LEOs I traded mine off bad. They are too high now if you can find one.
A great gun that was unappreciated. Sure, it recoils more than a .357, but it's a better stopper, too.
I control it by a death grip with my fingers but somewhat relaxed wrist. I'm no expert by a long shot, but IMHO it just takes practice. I guess many LEO's didn't have the time, money, nor incentive to practice enough to be proficient with a .41...
One thing I would change is the smallish grip panels. I still have the originals on mine, but I really prefer something bigger, a better handfull.
Factory ammo is ridiculously expensive now - $72 for a box of 20.I really lament the passing of the .41 mag., and I have to wait several days after doing a special order. So I reload my practice ammo, for about 12 bucks a box of 50.
Mine is a 1968 vintage, and is as good as new, functionally, although the nickel plating is a little worn. I saw that S&W is cranking out some new 58's now, but they have the infernal - er - internal lock now and cost over $1100.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #80

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldsarge View Post
I don't see where the article says it was a .45, but that is really beside the point. You found one guy who killed a Grizz with 9 shots out of something, are you trying to now say that because of this one situation that a .45 is a better trail gun than a .44mag or bigger? I grew up in a very rural area, we had black bear and moose (don't let anyone tell a moose will not attack a person). The minimum most of us up there wanted to be carry was a .44 mag, you carry what ever you feel comfortable with, but don't use a one off situation to try and prove a point. BTW one of my EDC carry guns is a .45.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books