Best Trail Gun - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Best Trail Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No way Rusty that would be a Chinese cowboy police pistol. Of course if there are bad cowboys in China they will need armed cowboy police.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #52

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's one of those "depends" ( not the underwear ) questions again. Depends on location, critters, time of year, how long the trek,
etc.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #53

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman
Here's one of those "depends" ( not the underwear ) questions again. Depends on location, critters, time of year, how long the trek,
etc.
We done gone over that cheeseman, area is washington state. the 2 biggest threats on the trail in this state, are mountain lion, and black bear. So .357 is fine (though .44 mag is better) 4" barrel, single or double action, preference is up to the op of course, and there are many fine choices (ruger redhawk or blackhawk, s&w, etc)

Last edited by phildenton; 10-21-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #54

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My S&W 625, Mountain Gun, .45 Colt.

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #55

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts

There have been litterally thousands of articles written on this subject, and amongst the "experts" the concensus is don't carry anything smaller than .357 mag with a non expanding round for defense against animals in the lower 48.

But then again, there have been grizzlies killed with .38s and .45s.

Conventional wisdom is that the .45 does not penetrate deep enough. But I believe most people are actually uneducated as to how much penetration one can actually get.

Using 230 grain FMJ you can expect to get anywhere from sixty to seventy cm of penetration in Gel. Running 155 gr .357 FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm of penetration in gel. Using 225 gr .44 mag FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm.

Knowing this it is all just gravy.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #56

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In those criteria, I agree, a loaded .357

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #57

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have spent many years in bear country camping....not in Grizzly country but black bear. While I know we all want to have a one shot one kill scenario .... I am educated enough on the outdoors to know that your chances are slim to none that you will ever have a life or death encounter with a bear or any other animal. If you live in rural Alaska, Yellowstone or some other high encounter spot...ok I will say statistically your odds will increase....but even then its unlikley unless you are trying to create a situation that puts you there. In the woods I carry three weapons:

1 - Gun (more for people)
2 - Bear Spay (for bear, animal or people)
3 - Knife (just a handy life saving tool and close quarters life or death tool)

If I do encounter a bear I go for the spray first (always want to avoid an attack at all costs and/or prevent it from escalating). My other reason is that shooting a .44mag, .357 etc. with no ear protection and possibly at night is going to be one tough job. I will either be blind, deaf or both....that first shot better hit its mark or you may not get a second shot. A long gun would be a much better solution if you are outside the tent...but again I would not want to piss off the animal....just de-escalate the threat.

I think sometimes we are under the impression that we are safe because we carry a hand cannon. Ask the guy who was stalked by the mountain lion and eventually attacked if he had time to draw and pop a clean shot or if he would have been better with a .357 or .44mag....doesn't happen. That's where the knife may have to come into play as you are struggling for life. Just some peices to chew on...think about avoidence first, de-escalation next and everything after that...well it will play out as it goes. One thing I learned a long time ago from many years in the woods...planning is key, but it never plays out the way you expected. Bring the right tools for the given situation. There is no one gun that does it all.

Last edited by northhike; 10-22-2012 at 11:02 PM.
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #58

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Interesting thread. I've come across it at about the right time. I am actually waiting for my backpack in the mail and am in the market for a cc gun. So far I have concluded that a .44 will be my choice for hiking.

I've also decided a longer barrel would add weight and be difficult to manage while hiking. So 4" or shorter.

I'm fairly new to handguns, so would a 3-4" .44 also be sufficient as a cc gun? And maybe some specific recommendations I could investigate?

I have a little time, need to save money and won't be eligible for my cpl until next October. But thankfully Michigan is open carry so I will have use for it on the trail.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #59

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts

The barrel length thing is a give and take. A shorter barrel may be lighter yes. But as the sight radius is shorter you have less wiggle room, and a lower weight means more perceived recoil. In a heavy hitting round like a .44,,,,, You smell what Im stepping in. Just try out a few to see what you like before ya buy. But I reckon you know that already.

Just like with people. Being able to put multiple hits on target is very important.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #60

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I live in Grizz country. I have known of attacks every year for many moons. The handgun is you last resort before the victim becomes a corpse. There are no John Wayne moments. Carry a magnum hand gun .41 or larger in a very strong belt and holster that will stay with you while the bear beats the hell out of you. If you carry a .38 or some city pistol die knowing your friends will leave flowers along the trail where you died.