Best Trail Gun - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Best Trail Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
If i was hiking in bear/moose territory i would have a marlin 1894gbl slung on my shoulder. People often discount moose as a threat but moose routinely kill and injure more folks than bear during the rut with no provocation. You usually have to actively piss a bear off. Mooses just go nuts for no discernable reason.

No pistol will get to the innards of a moose fastenough from the front short of something like a 454 or 500. Those guns are difficult to shoot under ideal conditions much less under stress when you got to land a perfect hit on a small target through chest muscle hide and bone. Only cartridges that generate rifle velocities can do that.

Same applies to bears. You can take a bear from the side with a 38spl. Put that same bear head on and even 44mag will not get through the hide chest and shoulder muscles and bone.

Hunting with a 44 is one thing when you can choose your shot location. Shooting a charging enraged beast intent on sht stomping you from the front is quite another.

Do not use hollow points!! Use a good hardcast lead or jacketed bullet designed expressly for dangerous animals. Buffalo bore makes excellent bear defense rounds.

Just something to think about
You're definitely right about the moose. They are, hands down, the most dangerous animal in the woods (excepting people, of course). Even then, though, their danger is often exaggerated. We have moose in our front yard all year long and run into them frequently while hiking, camping, and hunting. Don't provoke them and they will almost always leave (except during the rut when all bets are off).

The problem with carrying your Marlin is that it takes all of the problems of a long-barreled handgun and makes them exponentially worse. You just simply can't effectively fly fish with a long gun slung on your shoulder.

To me a "trail gun" has to be powerful enough to serve as a reasonable defensive weapon against man or beast, small enough to sit unobtrusively on the hip (not getting in the way but, ready for action in an instant), fun enough to shoot to plink with, and versitile enough to bring small game animals to the pot without destroying all the meat at the shot.

The only guns I have found that will fit the bill are 3" - 4" barreled revolvers in 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 45 Long Colt, 44 Special, or 44 Mag - though this last one I personally consider more of a dedicated hunting gun as it sure is no "plinker."

As I mentioned, my gun of choice is a 4" S&W 686+. I shoot mostly hot handloads using 180 gr. Hornady XTPs or Nosler Partitions (which, sadly have been discontinued and I don't know what I'll replace them with). I certainly agree with your assertion not to use (standard) hollow points - though I make an exception for the Partitions.

I would like to know your source for your assertion that handgun rounds don't have the power to penetrate on frontal shots as this has not beeen my experience.

Last edited by lucznik; 10-11-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My trail gun is a Ruger Vaquero 44 mag. With 300 grain laser cast solid lead with 18gr of H110. What I hit will stop right in its tracks.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #33
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

There is a reason why the Alaskan revolvers are short barreled. You wont have time to clear a long barrel from the holster if a bear attacks.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #34

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yes we have moose and Griz. The moose is a very dangerous animal. They are around the house all the time. This young one has a bad ass attitude you just don't go out at nite without a light.

I have a sawed off Winchester 97 loaded with slugs in the kitchen.

img_0351.jpg  

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

IMHO - Elk is the best eating of the deer family. Friends spent $$$ to hunt them and never got a shot - you've got them in your back yard...

Location, location, location.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 10-11-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #36

No doubt about that. We never buy beef elk is the meat of choice. A 2 year old dry cow taken in August is the very best. Once the cold weather starts and the blue veins form in the fat the meat quality goes down hill.The animal starts to live off its own fat the meat gets tough the flavor drops. Elk taken early in the high meadows where the grass is still green is the very best.

We also have elk in the yard. The animal pictured is a young bull moose.

Last edited by nitestalker; 10-11-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #37

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I agree about the moose. When I lived in Maine, we would get them in our yard all the time. The bulls would be aggressive at times, particularly during rut. Your not going to stop a moose with much less than a .44 mag and even then it better be a good shot and a hot load. Fortunately moose are not sneaky animals, you can hear them long before you see them when in the woods.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Moose: Some towns even cities have learned to coexist but there's always some incidents. Maine Ranger said they come in two ways - like a bulldozer and almost cat-like cause you turn around and they are looking at you.

During the rut - all bets are off. LL Bean has a traveling exhibit of Massive Horns - two bulls locked together during rut, got stuck, died.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #39

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
IMHO - Elk is the best eating of the deer family. Friends spent $$$ to hunt them and never got a shot - you've got them in your back yard...

Location, location, location.
Agree! Mule Deer is next

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #40

Mule deer? I think my next choice is Big Horn Sheep.