Best Trail Gun - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Best Trail Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
I got my Model 10 when I went on the local Sheriff's dept in 1975 and it is a 6 shot 38 with a 4" bull barrel.

In 1981 we went to a Model 66-1 which is a SS 357 - - - 6 shot with a 4" bull barrel as well.

In the late 1980s we went to a Model 5906 SS 9MM with 15+1 and 2 extra mags on the duty rig.

I like all three but now mostly carry concealed and have progressed from a Model 60 5 shot 38 in SS that I carried for about 35 years then progressed to a BodyGuard 380 ( 6+1 ) and I recently found some very good ( rated excellent but I would argue the point ) Model 6906s ( 12+1 ) and I bought a few and now my daughter and I both carry the 6906s as everyday carry although she sometimes has to go to a BodyGuard 380 in some outfits as at 5'7" and 106# she can't conceal anything large. The 6906s are about 2# lighter and 1" shorter in both length and height making them much easier for everyday CC - - - if on duty you carry the 5906 on your rig and the 6906 under your arm all extra mags should be the 15 round as either weapon will accept them. My daughter found both a 30 round and a 50 round mag that are fun to play with - - - they feed both well but not very practical.
This was my Smith model 10 HB 38 I was issued by the PD in 1968. I still shoot it from time to time.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #92

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldsarge

This guy used a .45 on a grizzley. http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/grizbearshotmay10.htm
We dont really have grizzly here, and not many moose either. .357 is about all you need. And with propper selection you can find a load+gun combination that will suit most any situation that can arise here in wa. A 4" barreled 357 is legal for hunting, can still be concealed carried with relative ease, is fun at the target range, can be great on the trail, take small or larger game, etc. The federal hydrashock 158 gr load is a good multipurpose round, with 18" of penetration will easily stop a mugger or mountain lion, and with shot placement stop a black bear.

Last edited by phildenton; 10-29-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #93

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This thread is very long. It seems that it is not the Trail Guns that are different it is the trails that each of us follows.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #94

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I would have to concur

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #95

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Yeah- trails have turned mostly into tales

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #96

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Then back to the original topic. What's the best trail gun?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #97

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
Then back to the original topic. What's the best trail gun?
Com'on now--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #98

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would want a .44 mag of some sort with me.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #99

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Where I am there are no bears or anything dangerous bigger than a coyote and even then. I'd have to say anythibg bigger than a .22 but not more powerful than a .45

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #100

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The best trail gun is what ever kind of critters your hunting or defending your self from. If your in a area where there are no griz or moose then a 44 magnum is not needed. I own two model 27 smith and wessons and a model 29. I bought my model 27 at age 18 and my dad left me his when he died a little over 5 years ago. I grew up in the bitteroots hunting all my life. My guns are six inch barrels on the model twenty sevens and 6.5 on the 29.
I have shot deer, elk, black bear with my model 27 and nothing with my model 29.I bought the 29 because the griz population has increased here in north Idaho while I was gone and you come across them pretty often.
Shooting a balck bear in the head by the eye with a 158 grain hollow point bores a 35 caliber hole in his head and leaves a golf ball size hole out the other side of his skull. It also blows a golf ball size hole in black bears heart.I am 55 years old and have seen many black bears killed with 158 grain hollow points brought in. I have also killed them myself.
I have carried my model 27 across the bob marshall wilderness area on a 70 mile hike in the past. The largest concentration of griz in the lower 48 states is in the bob marshall wilderness. I was not alone and my two friends each carried ruger black hawks in 4 5/8 barrels one in 41 magnum and one in 44 magnum and are brothers who argue over which caliber is best. In any case both grew up with me and are very experienced hunters and good with there rugers. I had no fear of a griz or any thing else as we slept on the ground every nght and hiked the trail.
How ever had I been alone the old model 27 would not have been my choice. A hot loaded ruger in 41 to 45 long colt would.But it was many years later I started hearing about how you need hard cast bullets to kill a bear and all about blowing there shoulders apart and crunching there bones. All very interesting and seems logical. Except I have seen a black bear with his shoulders blown to bits before with a 338 magnum. It does make them stop a second and slows them down a little.Blood shots the meat and sends bone fragments into the meat.It sure turns a docile bear into a raging three legged night mare.
I dont know what a hard cast bullet does on a bear because we have been killing them with hollowpoints and no one i know uses them.I have did some digging around with alaskans whith experience and from there replies I no longer feel a 44 magnum or 45 long colt can be loaded hot enough to be of much use on a griz and packing a rifle in summer is a rediculous suggestion especialy fly fishing. So I am looking into a 5 inch x frame in 460.Of course it will be loaded with hollow points and I will leave the hard casts to the experts and the people who buy into there babbling B.S.
As far as black bears not being agressive. For the most part they are not and will run off. But there are a few who will not and depending how much time you spend in the woods and the concentration of them in your area depends on when you will cross the mean ones. Once you do all nievety will be driven from your thoughts. The high concentration of black bears here and my years of spending most of my spare time in the woods have brought me into contact with three different agressive bears.
I have a number of times seen them false charge and huff and puff and swat the ground as well.
My experiences with them is a serious problem is a black bear that looks right at you and walks right up to you. You have a serious problem or a bear that charges from out at thirty yards or more.
I have had them run right through a camp scared to death but willing to do a snatch and grab in broad daylight and never miss a step as they snap up your cooler and haul ass. i have had them skulk around a camp and wait until you leave to go fishing for a little thieving and a number of times had to run them out of camp at night.
Any time i encounter a bear I watch him down my sights until he is gone or I have to let him have it.
For many years it was my job to clean the garbage before school because they come into town at night for late night freebies.Sows with cubs are bad news if you get in eyesight of them bit sometimes they just mosey off. Bears are not predictable and for the most part like I said are no threat.
I was once sitting on a ridge looking down into a basin watching for a elk to walk out of the timber. About a half hour after I sat down i caught movement to my right just below me and it was a black bear mosying along un aware of me and as he crested the top he spotted me. He rose about half way up took big sniff and turned around and hauled ass straight back down the hill. I knew there were elk in the timber and I was not about to waste getting a elk on shooting him. I dont eat bear by the way. He spooked the elk herd out and I shot a big lead cow.