Backpacking Gun - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Backpacking Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
Went through same situation recently. Gonna start backpacking this spring. I live in the lower east. I will eventually make a couple trips to the UP. Gonna start in the lower first.

I went with a ruger sp 101 .357 mag. It will also double as a cc when I get my cpl. That's why I didn't go with a bigger heavy .44. Also I figured a .357 mag will be sufficient with dealing with black bears or mountain lions (if they have them in the up). I'll also have my 9mm in the bag for a back up.
The SP101 is an excellent gun. Tremendous power in the 357 without too much unwieldy size. Enough weight to allow 357 use without too much recoil. And a size that is not perfect for cc but useable. It's a useful gun.
I hope to rearrange some of my gun holdings to acquire one of those.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #52

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

The SP101 is an excellent gun. Tremendous power in the 357 without too much unwieldy size. Enough weight to allow 357 use without too much recoil. And a size that is not perfect for cc but useable. It's a useful gun.
I hope to rearrange some of my gun holdings to acquire one of those.
I'd advise you to do so. I love it. It's only my second handgun. I'm torn between that and my p226. Both have their highlights. Yes I know they're both insanely different.

I have the sp101 with a 2 1/4 inch barrel. Kind of short for a trail gun but I would only be using it at close range if my life was on the line. So it's somewhat small enough for cc. I don't have an iwb holster yet but I've carried it around the house in my jeans pocket just fine. Yes there was a "little" bit of a print.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #53

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

I've been looking at the 101 and I think I may go that way as well