Backpacking Gun - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Backpacking Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast
*Shakes head sadly...*

For those members that are VISUALLY CHALLENGED!

eldar
That's what I was talking about. You wouldn't choose to take your .38 out in the woods correct?

You may have reasons for that that people like myself don't have. Such as having larger calibers at your disposal or living in grizzly country. Then of course I'd agree.

But living in Michigan, a heavy, steel hard nosed load (assuming your gun can handle it) would be sufficient.

Just depends on your situation.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #42

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

capto56...

Go re-read my first post.

It specifically says I would not carry my .38 into the woods.

My chosen woods weapon is a Taurus Raging Bull chambered for .454 Casull. .45 Long Colts for plinking and .454 Casulls for serious work.

The .38 Special is for home and business use ONLY.

eldar

Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56

That's what I was talking about. You wouldn't choose to take your .38 out in the woods correct?

You may have reasons for that that people like myself don't have. Such as having larger calibers at your disposal or living in grizzly country. Then of course I'd agree.

But living in Michigan, a heavy, steel hard nosed load (assuming your gun can handle it) would be sufficient.

Just depends on your situation.

Re read mine

Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #44

I did, twicet.

It didn't make any sense.

Please elucidate me as to your actual meaning(s)...

eldar

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast
I did, twicet.

It didn't make any sense.

Please elucidate me as to your actual meaning(s)...

eldar
I basically said the same thing twice. I originally was stating that a .38 special could be sufficient in most situations. Obviously if you had a larger caliber available or lived in big bear country, then a .38 special wouldn't be a wise choice.

So I was just saying that it depends on your unique situation.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #46

Oh!

*Still scratching my head on that one...*

If you say so...

eldar

Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #47

Lol, I meant no harm in anything.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
I asked this ? In another thread but what do yall think of charter arms ?
I have 5 Charter Arms guns, an "Off Duty" .38, 2 "Bulldog Pug" .44's, 1 "Bulldog" .44, and 1 "Target Bulldog" .44
I sometimes carry the Bulldog in a coat pocket in the woods in cold weather. It has a 3" barrel, so is easy to keep in a deep pocket. This is where feral dogs, coyotes, and 2-legged varmints are the most likely source of trouble. In weather that allows wearing a jacket but leaving it unzipped, I sometimes carry the Target Bulldog, .44 spl with 4" barrel. Lightweight, adequate power for what it makes sense to expect. If I'm going where the wolves, black bear, etc, are, I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum or a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #49

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

I have 5 Charter Arms guns, an "Off Duty" .38, 2 "Bulldog Pug" .44's, 1 "Bulldog" .44, and 1 "Target Bulldog" .44
I sometimes carry the Bulldog in a coat pocket in the woods in cold weather. It has a 3" barrel, so is easy to keep in a deep pocket. This is where feral dogs, coyotes, and 2-legged varmints are the most likely source of trouble. In weather that allows wearing a jacket but leaving it unzipped, I sometimes carry the Target Bulldog, .44 spl with 4" barrel. Lightweight, adequate power for what it makes sense to expect. If I'm going where the wolves, black bear, etc, are, I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum or a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.
Have you had good luck with your charters would you say? And how long have you had them ?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

It's been mixed results. The oldest one is the Off Duty .38, bought in 1986. It is perfectly OK, reasonably accurate, pretty easy to hide. It's my "politically correct" gun, which I carry sometimes at night when I have to drive thru a bad neighborhood to go to a hardware store. If the SHTF I'll be the old geezer with an old plain-jane .38 snubbie. Helps avoid the "gun nut" with a 19-round semiauto spoiling for an excuse to use it" syndrome.
Next is a blue Bulldog Pug .44 spl with 2.5" barrel bought in 1987. It functions well, too. It has saved my hide 4 times over the 25 years. I still carry it sometimes.
Then there is a stainless Bulldog Pug, bought in 1992. It has been a problem, because the clearance between the back of the cylinder and the backstrap is too tight, and some cartridges, especially CCI Blazer's get wedged between the cylinder and the backstrap, stopping the cylinder from rotating. Not good.
4th is a Bulldog, .44 spl with 3" barrel, sort of like a "Son of Sam" commemmorative It functions perfectly well, is pretty accurate.
Last is the Target Bulldog, lightweight .44 with 4" barrel and target sights. Bought in 1988. It is pretty accurate after I learned to compensate for the barrel being rotated so the front sight is about 10 degrees cocked to the left. But it is kinda fragile, so I don't carry it much.
So, 3 out of 5 are perfectly OK, 2 have issues.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.