Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Backpacking Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Does anyone know the knock down ratio between .357 mag & .44 mag

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #32

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree
There have been litterally thousands of articles written on this subject, and amongst the "experts" the concensus is don't carry anything smaller than .357 mag with a non expanding round for defense against animals in the lower 48.

But then again, there have been grizzlies killed with .38s and .45s.

Conventional wisdom is that the .45 does not penetrate deep enough. But I believe most people are actually uneducated as to how much penetration one can actually get.

Using 230 grain FMJ you can expect to get anywhere from sixty to seventy cm of penetration in Gel. Running 155 gr .357 FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm of penetration in gel. Using 225 gr .44 mag FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm.

Knowing this it is all just gravy

That's quoting someone from a different thread. Don't know of that's what ur looking for or not.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #33

Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You are far more likely to need to defend yourself against people than black bears so a 44 in either one of those guns would be fine. Pepper spray might be more effective against bears. They really hate the stuff. At no time should you choose to carry a 22 for defense against anything. Before all you 22 lovers get your back up please note I said choose. 22's have their place but self defense ain't one of them.
Late last year, my neighbor across the street was accosted by two thugs. After taking his money they both shot him, one used a 9mm and the other a .22LR.

The 9mm passed through his body leaving a smallish puckered entry wound and a slightly larger exit wound.

The .22LR bounced around inside his rib cage and inflicted such horrible damage to his internal organs he was in intensive care for 3 weeks.

His doctors told him it was a good thing the paramedics had him airlifted to the trauma center rather than have him transported by ambulance because he would have died from the .22 wounds.

Today, he sports a scar that reaches from just below his collar bone to just above his navel.

The 9mm scars are barely noticeable.

eldar

Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #34

Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Yep. A .22 bullet will ricochet off bones and bounce around inside you, making lots of long skinny holes, but will also sometimes tumble as they go and make really nasty wounds.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
According to the Marshall Evans tables, .357 scored 78% and .44 Magnum scored 92%.

eldar

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post

There have been litterally thousands of articles written on this subject, and amongst the "experts" the concensus is don't carry anything smaller than .357 mag with a non expanding round for defense against animals in the lower 48.

But then again, there have been grizzlies killed with .38s and .45s.

Conventional wisdom is that the .45 does not penetrate deep enough. But I believe most people are actually uneducated as to how much penetration one can actually get.

Using 230 grain FMJ you can expect to get anywhere from sixty to seventy cm of penetration in Gel. Running 155 gr .357 FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm of penetration in gel. Using 225 gr .44 mag FMJ you are looking at between sixty and seventy cm.

Knowing this it is all just gravy

That's quoting someone from a different thread. Don't know of that's what ur looking for or not.
That's very interesting thank you

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #37

I asked this ? In another thread but what do yall think of charter arms ?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #38

I have owned an Off Duty .38 Special with a 2" bbl, 5-shot Nickel frame for more than 10 years and find it to be an accurate revolver out to 25 yards. The thicker front blade sight is easier for my eyes to pick out. I carry it every day.

It is NOT what I would chose to take out in the woods.

eldar

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #39

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast
I have owned an Off Duty .38 Special with a 2" bbl, 5-shot Nickel frame for more than 10 years and find it to be an accurate revolver out to 25 yards. The thicker front blade sight is easier for my eyes to pick out. I carry it every day.

eldar
Against grizzlies or against squirrels? It depends on the wildlife in the woods you plan on bringing it into.

Not mocking or poking fun if you took it like that. Just stating my opinion.

And also I suppose you might not take your .38 if you also owned a .44 mag and didn't plan on hiking for days. I myself only own up to a .357 mag and am happy with that for the time being. And money being.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #40

*Shakes head sadly...*

For those members that are VISUALLY CHALLENGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast View Post
eldar