Backpacking Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Backpacking Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Backpacking Gun

Will be doing some backpacking up here in da UP this spring, and it's got me thinking about a firearm for defense against the wildlife.

I've mostly been looking at the 4" barrel models of the Ruger Redhawk and the S&W 629, both in .44 magnum. Anyone own one or recommend one over the other?

I don't know if I really want a really short "Alaskan" barrel, or something heavier than .44, since I would be reluctant to fire it at the range, and I'd rather get something that will be both easy to handle and a little easier to practice with.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm
CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If there are bears, a .44 magnum will do. The 4" barrel models work great. They're a nice size to carry, not inordinately heavy, but the barrel's long enough to absorb decent recoil.

Once upon a time, I had a S&W Mountain Gun and it was freakin' awesome. Not fun for a long range session though. When I first got it I put 200 rounds through it on its first range trip. I wanted to see how it functioned and how it stood up to a lot of rounds downrange. The result is that it stood up much better than I did.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
Mr. Bluesky Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Will be doing some backpacking up here in da UP this spring, and it's got me thinking about a firearm for defense against the wildlife.

I've mostly been looking at the 4" barrel models of the Ruger Redhawk and the S&W 629, both in .44 magnum. Anyone own one or recommend one over the other?

I don't know if I really want a really short "Alaskan" barrel, or something heavier than .44, since I would be reluctant to fire it at the range, and I'd rather get something that will be both easy to handle and a little easier to practice with.
IMO you've selected the best two choices out there - Either is a great choice.
But i'd lean toward the S&W - No real reason except I'm a S&W fan-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

I would say a 9MM semi auto or a .357 Magnum revolver.

You're 1000 times more likely to be attacked by a "turkey" than a bear.

If you're afraid of bears, carry pepper spray.

Winston Churchill
hiwall Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #5

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

While the two pistols you list are great, well-made guns and if you want one, by all means buy one. The odds of you needing one to protect yourself from a black bear are similar to winning the lottery. If you already have a handgun that you like then I would carry that. A 44 mag handgun is quite heavy(compared to smaller calibers) and the ammo is heavy. Given the backpacking scenario in that area I would carry an accurate 22 handgun, which I feel would be much more practical.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Given the backpacking scenario in that area I would carry an accurate 22 handgun, which I feel would be much more practical.
Here is what I like to carry under those conditions. It weighs about 10 ounces empty. It is an eight shot .22 with a three inch barrel and adjustable sights.

S&W Model 317-1 Airlite .22

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The 4" S&W Mdl. 29 is a very fine all around handgun. You have the choice of firing the .44 Russian a mild accurate load for game or close in double action defensive loads. The outstanding .44 S&W Special can be loaded up or down from a small game load to an accurate hard hitting hammer. And then the .44 Mag offered in many different loads. The .44 Mag. shot loads are great for taking grouse and small game at close range. And if needed the .44 Mag. has the reach of a carbine at 75 yds. I would prefer too much gun than too little. An N Frame S&W .357 weighs more than a .44. You never know be ready.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #8

Liked 2528 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 2429

You are far more likely to need to defend yourself against people than black bears so a 44 in either one of those guns would be fine. Pepper spray might be more effective against bears. They really hate the stuff. At no time should you choose to carry a 22 for defense against anything. Before all you 22 lovers get your back up please note I said choose. 22's have their place but self defense ain't one of them.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Either of the revolvers you mentioned would be great. I do like to have a .22 along as well, more for if I got stuck out ther and needed to add a little food to the pot. Easier to bag small game like rabbits and squirrels, etc and make a meal than getting something large that would spoil before you used it up.

I don't worry about black bears much other than as food raiders. genereally they are big chickens. But wild dogs, cougars (don't know if they roam around the UP) and two legged predators would have me wanting a good handgun in a larger caliber as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

If I am going in the woods I prefer a longer barrel. The extra couple inches of barrel only add a few ounces to the gun and the sight plane is much better. While self defense is close range proposition distances can easily be much longer in the woods. All of my hunting pistols have a 6.5" to 10" barrel. They are all easy to carry and quick handling when a rifle is out of reach.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.