Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Anyone have a Uberti Cattleman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone have a Uberti Cattleman?

Picked up a Uberti SAA in 45 Colt the other day. Shoots and looks great. Only complaint is it shoots about 4 inches left at 15=20 yards. Have read this is not uncommon. Anyone have one? What are your views and does yours shoot left?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I bought a Cattleman a few years ago, around 1975 or so, when they were imported by Iver Johnson. Mine was a .44 Magnum.

The gun was beautifully fitted and finished, well timed and good trigger pull. The objections I found in mine was the front sight was way too short, and there was no hardened recoil plate, or firing pin bushing. The latter problem led to a crater being "puckered up", for lack of a better description, in the standing breech. The fired primer flowed back around this "pucker" and tied up cylinder rotation. I stoned down the crater, but it would reappear in time. The front sight posed not so much of a problem, but the recoil plate area did bother me. I traded the gun off and heard later that the new owner confined his loads to .44 Special and had no problems with the gun, last I heard.

Oh, I did experience a broken bolt spring, easily replaced.

From what I've heard about newer guns, they are fairly trouble-free.
Bob Wright

Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've got one in 44-40. Shoots to POA except it's high at 25 yds. The front sights are left tall so you can file them down to fit your loads and I'm just to lazy to do it.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I've got one in 44-40. Shoots to POA except it's high at 25 yds. The front sights are left tall so you can file them down to fit your loads and I'm just to lazy to do it.

If it shoots high, the last thing you want to do is file your front sight, its too short already, same trouble I had with mine.

Bob Wright

Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #5

I bought one a couple of months ago in .45 LC, shoots to point of aim well at about 25yds. I have'nt shot it further than that. I use Cowboy Action loads, a little pricey but they sure shoot good in my cattleman.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
If it shoots high, the last thing you want to do is file your front sight, its too short already, same trouble I had with mine.

Bob Wright

Flubbed that one didn't I You're right but the sights are left tall on the newer models so you can file them down.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take it to your local gunsmith and tell him to "regulate" it to POA. He'll put barrel in vise, action in action wrench, and rotate the barrel (VERY slightly) until it hits EXACTLY where you aim.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #8

Yea I got one too I just bought it slightly used 45 Colt. for the guys shooting left and one one high Before you go running to the gunsmith check out different ammo. First time I shot mine I shot about 6 inches to the left it was with Federal Factory Ammo I was thinking heck I got to get the barrel regulated. Then some one at the cast boolits forum gave me the same advice I am giveing here. He said try different ammo well I started reloading for it and casting my own bullets them factory loads I just bought to try out the gun before I got my reloading dies bought and a mould for casting 45 bullets. Guess what my reloads shoot to POI so do not automatically think its your gun like any pistol or rifle you got to find a load the gun likes. Only if it shoots every thing to the left would I worry about getting the barrel tweaked and even then I would first take a good look at your sight picture even a bit off can cause you to shoot one way or the other same with how you maybe holding the gun. For the guy shooting high try a lighter bullet. heavier bullets shoot higher so shooting a lighter bullet will lower your POI.

These are very nice guns I am happy with mine and after I figured out the ammo situation and checking out my sight picture to make sure I was doing every thing right the guh shoots where it is supposed to. I also put a dab of white out correction fluid on the tip of my sight it helps me see it better.

Last edited by jh45gun; 04-21-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #9

Weren't the "Old Model" 1973s the ones with the lower front blades? I seem to recall this from the Uberti website.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

I have one in .45 long colt. I like it alot but found one of the three screws under the trigger guard is not there and was most likely shipped with out it. So I need to contact unerti and get a replacment screw. Other than that, I like it alot.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington