Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Anybody remember these....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/anybody-remember-these-75900/)

Bob Wright 11-08-2012 01:55 AM

Anybody remember these.......

Many years ago, in the late 'Fifties or early 'Sixties, there was a bullet called Cladalloy bullets. These bullets were cast of a zinc base alloy instead of lead, then copper coated. The bullet weighed about half that of a similar lead bullet. The .44 caliber which was cast lead weighed 246 grs., while then Cladalloy bullet weighed 128 grs.

Zinc, fairly soft, expanded well, and the light weight made very high velocities possible within reasonble pressures. The loading data I remember use a charge of Unique powder to produce around 1200 fps. in a .44 Special.

I never got around to trying these, wonder if anyone here did?

Bob Wright

JTJ 11-08-2012 02:28 AM

If they did they are probably too old to remember.:rolleyes:

phildenton 11-08-2012 02:30 AM

Interesting. Would be good on 2 legged threats. But i would want the heavier bullet when up against certain 4 legged critters. Gonna look into that

hiwall 11-08-2012 01:46 PM

years ago some used to cast bullets out of Babbitt metal. it was lighter than lead.

masterPsmith 11-08-2012 07:45 PM

I remember all that stuff when casting bullets back then and yes, I also used to cast for some loads using Zinc........

locutus 11-12-2012 11:13 PM

Rhey didn't work out very well.

c3shooter 11-13-2012 01:53 AM

You could get some screaming velocities out of those- that dropped rather quickly- partly due to light weight, part due to some bullets not stabilizing too well.

About 20 yrs back we were experimenting with some lathe turned aluminum bullets. .357 bullets that weighed 37 grains. Those were vicious- for 100 feet. Very little penetration other than contact shots- which is why we were experimenting with them.

clr8ter 11-17-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

About 20 yrs back we were experimenting with some lathe turned aluminum bullets. .357 bullets that weighed 37 grains. Those were vicious- for 100 feet. Very little penetration other than contact shots- which is why we were experimenting with them.
Cool.....I have been wondering lately, (I don't know why), has anyone ever turned bullets on a lathe out of copper? Or brass?

forrest225 11-19-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1018067)
Cool.....I have been wondering lately, (I don't know why), has anyone ever turned bullets on a lathe out of copper? Or brass?

I have seen some on a website before. They may have been using them for 50 BMG but I can't remember for sure. I know it was for a rifle though.

phildenton 11-19-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter

Solid brass bullets may be illegal for handguns, anyone know the law on that, im pretty sure that it would fall under definition of Armor piercing.