Any word on the judge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Any word on the judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Any word on the judge

All - I've had my eye on the judge (3") for a while but haven't heard reviews from real folks. I have several revolvers that I would eventually like to sell or trade after getting some feed back to make sure it's the right decision. The S&W 38 special along with a HR 32 and an old (but in good shape) Beretta 22 semi auto with an ejectable barrel are interesting pistols but the judge really has my eye. I also have several medium to large cal. Semi's that I will most likely keep forever but would like to possibly start carrying a revolver but larger cal. Than the 38 special. Thanks for any thoughts, comments, direction, etc.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There have been a few threads about the judge revolver and the similar smith & wesson revolver.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/bought-public-defender-judge-46155/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/smith-wesson-governor-43361/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/taurus-judge-ccw-home-defense-41323/

You might want to PM Wannagator about his experience with the judge.

Some people are really into the S&W revolvers; you should post up some pictures about it for more info.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-21-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I have the Public Defender and its pretty awesome. It shoots well and there is hardly no recoil to speak of with any of the ammo (.410 or 45 colt). As a HD gun, its fills the role quite well, in the truck gun catagory, it fills the role pretty well. In carrying, I would look into something else. It is large and very bulky, it would be really hard to conceal. Not to mention they weigh quite a lot and it would wear you down as time went on. I would def. maybe look into a .357 or even the .327 Federal. The Judge is just not a carry peice in my opinion.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

I would love to have a Judge to carry fishing with me. Sounds like it would be perfect for snakes. We have some bad snakes up here in North Alabama. A shotgun is just to bulky.

"Life's rough, then you die!"

An expert is a man 50 miles from home with a breifcase.

A rookie gangster to an old timer, "Why do we hold the gun sideways"
Old timer, " Idiot, thats the way it came out of the box!"

Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #5

OK - now I have more to think about. Thanks so much for the links to previous threads. I've been reading about the Tarus Judge and now the S&W
Governor. I like what I'm seeing and learning about the Gov. I can't see where the Gov will hold a 3" shell, however; the 6 shell capacity is a big plus and reviews are great for both. Now I will have to study on cost. I will be placing my 38 special up for sell when I'm permitted on the forum and go from there. I will posting pics of the 38 tomorrow to see what kind of feed back I get. It is a nickel plated, 5" barrel pistol in excellent condition and hope feed back will be positive. Thanks guys for your input and direction.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peybella View Post
OK - now I have more to think about. Thanks so much for the links to previous threads. I've been reading about the Tarus Judge and now the S&W
Governor. I like what I'm seeing and learning about the Gov. I can't see where the Gov will hold a 3" shell, however; the 6 shell capacity is a big plus and reviews are great for both. Now I will have to study on cost. I will be placing my 38 special up for sell when I'm permitted on the forum and go from there. I will posting pics of the 38 tomorrow to see what kind of feed back I get. It is a nickel plated, 5" barrel pistol in excellent condition and hope feed back will be positive. Thanks guys for your input and direction.

I looked at both and decided to go with the Governor for these reasons (not in any order):
-- Scandium frame: light-weight and good performance history (the Governor is my 3rd S&W Scandium frame handgun, the others are a Night Guard and a 1911, both in .45 acp).
-- 6 round capacity (a huge advantage).
-- 3 calibers: the .45acp is a much better "carry" round than the .45 Colt simple because of the moonclips / speed loading (don't get me wrong, I love the .45 Colt). The recessed cylinder was a very smart design decision which adds manufacturing costs but also considerable value.
-- Trintium front sight which has excellent night visibility (another premium feature I'd pay extra for).
-- Feels better in my hand: better balance, better grips, more natural feel.
-- S&W quality: I've had only good experiences with my 30+ S&Ws and I've no problem entrusting my life to them.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #7

Hello guys - It's been a while - Well the wife decided that she wanted the Judge Defender Poly. So I gave her one for getting her CCL. She puts that monster in her purse and carries it with her everywhere she goes when not teaching. She like the power, the fact that she can drop the hammer and pull the trigger and not worry about a slide on a semi. She also like the fact that she can send 4 to six balls down range with one pull and inflict maximum damage. I was worried that she had not thought it through. But when we got to the range and I asked her why she like the Judge so much, the above is what she told me. To her credit, she had read up on the pistol and thought it out completely. Knew exactly what she wanted and what to expect. Not to mention that she is flat deadly with that thing. Very proud of her!!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #8

image-1356464118.jpg

This is what I got my wife the judge poly .. She loves it!! And I would like one as well now.. For the boat or beside the bed.. Great little pistol

Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #9

Very cool for the wives for sure. Cool for anyone. But for the ladies, gives them the ability to have a very large caliber pistol without having to worry about chambering a round. That was always the problem and worry with my wife and it kind of got her down. She liked shooting the larger calibers but found her little 5 foot nothing self fighting the slide when chambering the round. My thought was that if she could not have complete control over the weapon from chambering a round to dis-arming the pistol, she didn't need it. So I took her to a retail store and had her play with every revolver they had. She jumped past the Judge several times until I asked her to at least try it and see what it felt like. As soon as the pistol hit her hand and she dropped the hammer she was in love. Light enough for her to handle but powerful enough to take an arm off with a shot or two.

Last edited by peybella; 04-19-2013 at 05:12 PM.