Any S&W 500 fans here? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Any S&W 500 fans here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

the only thing i dont like about it is it isnt currently in any semi-auto handgun im aware of and the bullet selection for .500 caliber bullets is pretty poor.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Gee thanks Mark. . . Not like I haven't already been drooling over a 629-1 for the last month. Oh lord, tomorrow's pay day.
GO FOR IT!!!!! You only live ONCE!
That's how I ended up with so many... never regretted it!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #13

I got mine as a promise to myself from long ago. I wasn't really that interested in handguns for most of my life, and promised myself that if I ever got one it would be a cannon just for the WOW factor. The more I use it and get used to it, the more practical it seems. Not exactly your typical under-the-shirt CC type weapon, but not unrealistic for open carry and inside coat carry. Around the farm, it could be a coyote stopper, deer hunter, bull stopper, or just plain fun. Mine's been a LOT of fun. The accuracy makes them a lot more gratifying for target. 100 yds and on paper is completely realistic. If every really needed, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. If it were in the house it might break some windows but I'm on a farm so neighbors wouldn't be an issue. Heck, the noise alone would stop any would-be predator.

I bought a few bags of new brass and a few boxes of ammo, so I have enough to reload for ages. With used brass that I already have, reloads are probably under a buck a round.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While I've never had the chance to shoot the big Smith, I do have a .454 Casull that I've owned for about 9 years now. There is just something fun about owning a big bad wheel gun. Until the .460 and .500 came out, I could always count on being able to trump most anyone's "big gun" story. I pull out the Raging Bull and say "This is the gun that gives Dirty Harry penis envy."

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have shot or owned virtually every big-boy hand cannon available today. But nothing (and I mean nothing) is more painful to shoot than a Smith & Wesson 329PD. I bought one of these pain-makers last year. To this day... no one has shot a full six rounds of Magnums through my 329PD. I had read somewhere that S&W 500 grips will tame the 329 down a bit. That's a crock-o-sh!t, it only allows your arm & hand tolerate maybe one or two more rounds. So far everyone has given up at 5, and I have let a lot of high-ego, mega-testosterone boys have at it, to no avail.

26 ounces of pure pain.

This thing makes other big-bore pistols feel like pellet guns...

Last edited by Mark F; 02-12-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I would love to shoot 6 rounds through the 329PD! That would be the BOMB! You HAVE to bring it to any potential get together.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I would love to shoot 6 rounds through the 329PD! That would be the BOMB! You HAVE to bring it to any potential get together.
I take it to all shooting events, just so in case I encounter some young mega-macho. I'll usually put one or two 44 specials in it just to give em' a false feeling of badass before they cap off a BUFFALO BORE 320 grain SWC. That normally ends it right there, but if they have a little fuzz left on their nuts ... the next one or two rounds does them in every time. If you don't hold this revolver it just right and super tight, it will draw blood from the web of your hand.

I just love this revolver!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I have shot or owned virtually every big-boy hand cannon available today.
Have you by any chance tried to shoot the Taurus 4" Titanium . 44Mag ???

Always kinda wanted a short barelled .44Mag, but not sure I'd have the money nor the masochistic tendencies for the 329 (perhaps at some later point in life if I ever get really bored) It is 28 ounces, so a "bit" heavier, but the main difference I would guess is the grip, which I find extremly comfortable on my 8" Raging Bull. As far as I can see on the 329, the web of your hand is directly on the metal <ouch!>.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Last edited by MB44; 02-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
Have you by any chance tried to shoot the Taurus 4" Titanium . 44Mag ???

Always kinda wanted a short barelled .44Mag, but not sure I'd have the money nor the masochistic tendencies for the 329 (perhaps at some later point in life if I ever get really bored) It is 28 ounces, so a "bit" heavier, but the main difference I would guess is the grip, which I find extremly comfortable on my 8" Raging Bull. As far as I can see on the 329, the web of your hand is directly on the metal <ouch!>.

2 ounces doesn't make much difference in recoil. HOWEVER that gel filled backstrap pad does make a huge difference. I did put an X Frame grip on my 329PD, which is very similar to the Taurus grip in that the backstrap is now padded. Yes I have shot the Taurus and it is a pain-maker too.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I have shot or owned virtually every big-boy hand cannon available today. But nothing (and I mean nothing) is more painful to shoot than a Smith & Wesson 329PD. So far everyone has given up at 5, and I have let a lot of high-ego, mega-testosterone boys have at it, to no avail.
Well Mark. . . now you got me wanting to shoot a 329PD almost as bad as I want that 629-1. I'm going tomorrow. . . and if it's still there. . .