Any gun will go boom when

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Any gun will go boom when

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Default Any gun will go boom when

There is an obstruction in the barrel....

It doesn't matter if the manufacturer is Taurus, Kimber, Colt, even Smith & Wesson.

I recently saw a video showing a Taurus revolver coming apart right after the pistol was fired. It was interesting that the video started (was dubbed) right as the revolver was fired.

The target had several holes in it reflecting that it had been shot prior to the incident, yet the video started just as the revolver was being fired. There was tremendous backblast from the rear of the cylinder indicating that the barrel was obstructed.

I was a rangemaster for a DoD Department for 6 consecutive years and witnessed just an incident as demonstrated by the video. Except the next round was not fired due to the cylinder being prevented from cycling to the next shot because the previous bullet was stuck between the barrel and the cylinder . New ammunition (Winchester) was a squib round.

Obstructions are dangerous things. We were lucky then.

eldar

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Very good point. Another reason to be extra careful if you choose to shoot ammo you picked up at a gun show. Could you post that video, or is it somewhat gory?

-Matt

Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was at Camp Roberts, California in 1957 or so when I had a chance to examine a Smith M1917 that had a split barrel. The split started just in front of the forcing cone and extended to about one inch back of the muzzle. There were either three or four bullets lodged in the barrel.

Ammunition was old Frankford Arsenal (as I remember) H/S "FA 18". Apparently the old ammunition had been subjected to extreme conditions and had deteriorated. The first few shots had fired but were squib loads, the last still full power. There was no big boom, so I was told. The shooter had thought all rounds had fired until the last shot demonstrated more recoil than the first few. So far as I know, only a new barrel was required.

Bob Wright