Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Any Cartridge Collectors out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Any Cartridge Collectors out there?

Having been a student of the handgun, and especially the revolver, I sort of backed into collecting cartridges. Lately, I've been sorting through and placing them into little Zip-Lok bags and labeling them, according to headstamp, if any, and primer/bullet variations. Over the years I've accumulated quite a variety of specimens.

I have many .45 Colt rounds, old UMC blackpowder, Frankford Arsenal Benet primed, etc. Also some blackpowder .38 Special as well as the .38-44 Special and .38 Special MV, forerunners of the .38 Special +P of today.

I have a few rarities~ the 9.8mm ACP, the .44 Remington and .50 Remington, to name a few.

Makes an interesting study in itself.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #2

Great Hobby... just never ending unless you specialize

I havent got that smart yet....

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Do not pursue it daily, but started collecting about 30 hrs ago. Have a few odd rounds, lipfire, cupfire, Trounds, teatfires. Picked up a 5mm Lilliput and a .14 Alton Jones RF, and a .45 Remington-Thompson round. Learning about the history behind them is half the fun. Just FINDING something called a .307 Schneelock Triangular (yeah, real name) would be a hoot!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've considered myself a student of the handgun, and early on I decided to concentrate on the progressive development of the handgun and ammunition, and ruled out patent evasions such as teatfire, etc. My collection has included rimfire, metric, and Imperial cartridges, both revolver and pistol cartridges.

I've just completed sorting out my specimens and bagging them up into Z-p-Lok bags, labeled and sorted by caliber, headstamp, primer and bullet variations. Now to get a box to hold this, and find a place to put it that will bear its weight.

There is no end to the ramifications.

Incidentally, my references include White and Munhall's "Cartridge Identification Guide"; Charles Suydam's "U.S. Cartridges and their Handguns"; Erlanger and Brandt's "Cartridge Guide", and Ian Hogg's "Cartridge Identification Guide". Plus clippings from "The American Rifleman."

Bob Wright

Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I never though of myself as a cartridge collector but maybe I am. At present I shoot 7 different .22 cal. rounds and load for acouple more. I also shoot 3 different .17 cal. centerfire rounds and rifle rounds up to .411 and handgun rounds from .38 to .500.

Catfish
Ohio