Another 'Which Revolver' Thread
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Another 'Which Revolver' Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Another 'Which Revolver' Thread

I currently carry a Ruger SR9 and am so very pleased with it. I've been reading a lot about how it is best to carry it cocked & locked and that sounds good to me in case of an emergency as it would be ready to go with a flip of the safety. But as I've been reading others' opinions about it, I'm now on the fence as A - the gun is of course more volatile in it's cocked position, and B - I thought it was bad for the tension spring to have constant pressure on it. Not trying to start a debate on that ...

So I'm thinking of maybe carrying a revolver for my primary gun, that way I wouldn't have to carry it cocked and in case of emergency, I could draw and use it with one hand.

I can't handle a big kick, my husband's Beretta is much too powerful for me, but I don't want something too puny, either. My 9mm is just right. What pistol might compare to the minimal kick of a 9mm? I realize the kind of ammo I use will also be a factor.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #2

What about Ruger LCR revolver in 38spl ? Half polymer, half alloy, and uglier than sin, but I hear they're very light and reliable. Another bonus is that they're +P rated.
Go to Ruger.com and check it out.

MotorG20

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'll be hard pressed to find a better carry revolver then the LCR....unless you want something that hits harder then a 38.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
jbd

i have the LCR and think you would be hard pressed to find a better ccw. im not sure the guys/gals here would probably be better suited to answer this one but the +p vs 9mm are prob pretty close in ballistic numbers. i know i feel safe carrying the ruger LCR. i also enjoy shooting the little gun too.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

The LCR does look like a convenient carry. I wonder how it compares to the new S&W Bodyguard 38? That's listed as 14.3 oz. and it's a good-looking pistol.

Well thanks, at least I've narrowed it down. One of these will probably be my new gun soon.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Themyst, if recoil is a problem, you might want to sacrifice a bit of carry comfort and go with an all steel snubbie. They are still easy to carry all day long, and they'll reduce the felt recoil.

I'd go for either a Ruger SP-101 or a Smith & Wesson J frame (I prefer models with no exposed hammers, like the 640). Shooting .38 +p out of those is going to be much more comfortable than from the LCR.

And they are much better looking than that tupperware abomination!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

I had access to a Ruger SP101 before, and although it was just about as heavy as my 9mm, it felt much heavier. Somehow the weight felt disproportionate - as if the grip was too light and it was a bit awkward to hold because all the weight was at the front. You are right though, it is a good-looking pistol. But, also, I was worried that a .357 would have more of a kick than my 9mm.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Even if you opt for the .357 SP101, there's no reason you can't still fire .38+P in it. In fact I'd recommend you practice with .38s. The LCR is a very good defense revolver,as is the J frame S&Ws. Go to a gun store and handle them and compare them side by side. See which 1 feels best in YOUR hands. See which has the most natural "pointability". If possible shoot them before buying if your gunstore/range rents guns.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The SP101 is my primary CCW.

It has many benefits in my eyes.

I can drop it on the ground and the only thing hurt is the ground. I can shoot .38 specials endlessly for pennies and great practice. It is very concealable in all months. Mag loads (.357) don't feel too rough due to it's weight. You also have a variety of SD loads to choose from ranging form .38 - .38+p - .38+p+ - .357. Not only is it good for urban carry/use, it is a durable mountain/camping gun (for me).

The negative. The trigger pull is longer than most DAs and also pretty heavy. Dry firing/practice has loosened mine, but I'm sure it can be done professionally as well.

But I'm sure any of the above firearms would suit you and you needs well.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am a huge fan of the LCR. I have only had it a little while I have shot 38 specials and the +ps I think it is a great CCW choice

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered