Another H&R question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Another H&R question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Another H&R question

So my first problem was cured and I've ordered the parts to replace the damaged ones. Now it says 22LR on the barrel. I have tried 22lr AND 22 shorts and for the life of me I cannot get the round into the cylinder. The head, copper or lead, seems to bind and scrape the sides when I try to insert the cartridge. Now I believe that the guns were first made in '41 and this one is stamped 66xxx as the serial number, so I imagine it was produced somewhere in the 40s. Have the size of the rounds changed since this gun was produced?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a top-break, single-action, 9-shot H&R Sportsman 199 that works very slick, with no sticking and easy ejection. I did get some el-cheapo ammo once that had a heavy waxy type residue on it that made chambering tough, but this was the exception and not the norm. Good old Remmy's, Winny's, Federals and CCI's always worked well.
The dimensions of the .22LR were standardized a long time ago. A .22LR from the 40's is the same size as today. If anything, the chambers were probably a bit looser in the old days than they are today.
When was the last time yours was fired?
Is there any surface rust or crud built up in the chambers?
Are all the chambers just as tight, or just a few?
I'd give it a good cleaning with a few wet patches, then a stiff spiral wound bronze wire brush, and then a few dry patches and see if this makes a difference.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa