Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ammo suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ammo suggestions

I just picked up a new ruger lcr in 38 +p. I'm looking for suggestions for some defense ammo. I saw some Remington golden sabers at my LGS today. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you have any suggestions? Anything is appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

In my experience Remington ammo is a bit underpowered, personally I use Speer Gold dots and Hornady critical defense/critical duty in all my defensive handguns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Get the best .38 Special you can afford.

You are using the firearm for protection, do you want to bet the farm on some "maybe good enough" ammo?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
In my experience Remington ammo is a bit underpowered, personally I use Speer Gold dots and Hornady critical defense/critical duty in all my defensive handguns.
+1, Nothing but Gold Dots and Critical Defense for SD.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Get something that is designed for short barrels. It will have a faster burning powder to get as much velocity as possible out of your gun. Several companies market this type of load

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
Get something that is designed for short barrels. It will have a faster burning powder to get as much velocity as possible out of your gun. Several companies market this type of load
Three I know of are Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Formula, Buffalo Bore makes a short barrel version, and I forget the last one right now...

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (53921) was specifically designed for snubnose guns.

Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX performs well out of snub nose guns.

Federal has some Barnes DPX loads that work well, but their HST "self defense" load does not perform very well in the snub nosed guns.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

the golden saber is a great bullet but its unfortunately loaded by remington. remington ammunition just plain sucks. its unreliable in my experience.

my colt commander is currently loaded with 230grain golden sabers but i pulled the bullets tossed the powder and put the cases into range reloads rotation. i then re-used the bullets on good cci primers and unique powder at 850fps.

off the shelf speer gold dot/lawman (if they still make it) and the entire hornady critical defense/duty lineup are great. i just wish speer would put out more handloading offerings they have always been my favorite hunting bullets. speer just makes solid reliable bullets

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info guys. It's really helpful. Do any of you have experience with the buffalo bore 158 gr 38 special +p? There's a lot of talk about it on the Internet. I'm just wondering where it stands with Speer, Hornady, and others

Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

So I went to the LGS today and they must've gotten an ammo shipment in. So besides the original Remington golden saber they had the Hornady Critical Defense. I went with the Hornady off of your guys recommendations, plus it was $5 cheaper. Thanks for all the input!