Ammo for non +P 38 special in home defense

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ammo for non +P 38 special in home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo for non +P 38 special in home defense

I've been reading the thread on "best defense for 38 special" and all thats mentioned is +p ammo. What is best used in an older S&W 38 special? Do not want to apply excessive pressure.

"Life's rough, then you die!"

An expert is a man 50 miles from home with a breifcase.

A rookie gangster to an old timer, "Why do we hold the gun sideways"
Old timer, " Idiot, thats the way it came out of the box!"

Last edited by iluv2shoot2; 07-12-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: question answered in another thread!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

these days i use Hornady Critical Defense it's designed to expand at lower velocities and is gentle on my old snubby. my second choice is the old 158 grain lead semi-wad cutter (LSWC) http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/Critical%20Defense-Personal%20Defense%20Breakthrough.pdf

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I would use whatever you have on hand or what you like to shoot. I keep 115 gr. hollow points(NOT +P) in my smith. I carried 148 gr wadcutters for many years. When someone tells me to use +P or switch to 357 like they use, I ask them how their shells worked out on the last few guys that they had to shoot. Don't waste your money on special ammo that you may never use and is often less accurate. But do carry and keep your gun(s) handy at all times.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Don't waste your money on special ammo that you may never use and is often less accurate. But do carry and keep your gun(s) handy at all times.
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I have been reading up on requirements in Alabama to get a CCW. I'm going to start hunting with a handgun, and I carry a pistol with me to fish. The snakes are pretty thick some of the places I go. Would love to get a Judge. As far as being handy, they are loaded and ready. What else ya gonna do? "Hey there BG, let me get my shells and I'll be right with you"

"Life's rough, then you die!"

An expert is a man 50 miles from home with a breifcase.

A rookie gangster to an old timer, "Why do we hold the gun sideways"
Old timer, " Idiot, thats the way it came out of the box!"

Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

With any firearm it doesn't matter how loud the bang but how you hit the target. Two in the head 99.9% of the time will stop the evil ones. 38 spl in a simiwad cutter is a good choice. I've an old colt that can handle +P but I know it is not good for it and the bang is really loud as compared to standard reloads. Find ammo that will give you 770 to 800 ft/sec velocity. If you can get a little more good, 125 gr jacketed soft points generally are close to 1000fps, that is out of a 4 inch or longer barrel.

Practice in all lighting and shooting from say behind a door or bed household cover. Hit what your shooting at and in a vital area.

Oz

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2shoot2 View Post
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I have been reading up on requirements in Alabama to get a CCW. I'm going to start hunting with a handgun, and I carry a pistol with me to fish. The snakes are pretty thick some of the places I go. Would love to get a Judge. As far as being handy, they are loaded and ready. What else ya gonna do? "Hey there BG, let me get my shells and I'll be right with you"
For snakes I use Speer shotcaps loaded with #9 shot. CCI also markets a ready to use 38/357 product. The shot is good at close range, up to about 10 feet, after that the pattern really spreads. If you are interested in starting to reload, Lee makes a low cost handloader set of dies, which do not require a press.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

For defense, I use hydrashok.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington