Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Alright you revolver guys, help a brother out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Alright you revolver guys, help a brother out.

I have not been a revolver guy in the past. However, I have recently really warmed up to the idea of buying one as a back up gun and to add a new dimension to my handgun training. I am really intrigued at leaning to speedload a revolver and shooting that heavy double action all the time. I really like the M&P line and REALLY like the M&P Model 340 CT. I do not have any lasers on any of my guns but I see the need for that on a back up heavy loaded revolver. So please, enlighten me, teach me the way of the revolver and help me make a good decision. I was wondering about your experiences with revolvers in general. What you like and dislike about them, etc. Thanks!

Colt New Agent 45ACP Talo Limited Edition
Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Last edited by tcraig23; 06-06-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What exactly is it that you want to know? Have you shot any revolvers?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
What exactly is it that you want to know? Have you shot any revolvers?
Sorry for not being specific enough. I was wondering about your experiences with revolvers in general. What you like and dislike about them, etc.

Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like the fact that with a revolver there's no fumbling with a safety, just point and click and it goes bang.

You're looking at a pretty fancy revolver for a backup. You may want to consider a S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101. Both are .357 mag. The 60 isn't as stout as the Ruger, but it carries nicely. The SP101 will shoot full house loads all day, the Model 60 is more of a practice with .38's and carry .357's for defense.

I dunno' if this helps, but you asked.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I like the fact that with a revolver there's no fumbling with a safety, just point and click and it goes bang.

You're looking at a pretty fancy revolver for a backup. You may want to consider a S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101. Both are .357 mag. The 60 isn't as stout as the Ruger, but it carries nicely. The SP101 will shoot full house loads all day, the Model 60 is more of a practice with .38's and carry .357's for defense.

I dunno' if this helps, but you asked.
It does, I like the Ruger LCR with laser, it is $300 less. But I am a big Smith guy and it is a purchase for life so....idk.

Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Disadvantage of revolver- fewer rounds than many autos, thicker profile due to cylinder.
Advantage- you no longer have the questions of did magazine catch and latch, did a round get picked up when racked, did it go all the way into battery, did the safety go all the way off, did I limp wrist the gun, did I get the thumb of my off hand in the way of the slide (that WOULD explain the blood and the two grooves cut into the thumb). For a revolver, is cylinder loaded? Point. Pull trigger. If loud noise does not result, repeat step 2.

Agree on the Mdl 60.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Disadvantage of revolver- fewer rounds than many autos, thicker profile due to cylinder.
Advantage- you no longer have the questions of did magazine catch and latch, did a round get picked up when racked, did it go all the way into battery, did the safety go all the way off, did I limp wrist the gun, did I get the thumb of my off hand in the way of the slide (that WOULD explain the blood and the two grooves cut into the thumb). For a revolver, is cylinder loaded? Point. Pull trigger. If loud noise does not result, repeat step 2.

Agree on the Mdl 60.
And those reasons are why I really want a revolver back up my friend.

Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I prefer revovlers

I used to carry a S&W model 19 then switched to a 1911 and then to a Glock 19. Now I am back to carrying a Charter arms Undercover out of familiarity and ease of use. The reasoning is simple I am not in law enforcement and do not need to carry a duty sidearm. The 38 is plenty strong enough to get the job done. What you need to do is practice practice and practice with whatever weapon you do choose to carry. A well placed 38 is better than a miss with a 45. This is why I chose the revolver over the automatic, for myself. For whatever it's worth.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomill View Post
I used to carry a S&W model 19 then switched to a 1911 and then to a Glock 19. Now I am back to carrying a Charter arms Undercover out of familiarity and ease of use. The reasoning is simple I am not in law enforcement and do not need to carry a duty sidearm. The 38 is plenty strong enough to get the job done. What you need to do is practice practice and practice with whatever weapon you do choose to carry. A well placed 38 is better than a miss with a 45. This is why I chose the revolver over the automatic, for myself. For whatever it's worth.
I carry my S&W M&P 40c every day. I want to carry a back up or when I have trained enough with the revolver carry it as an option. This in an ankle holster at church would be a nice change from time to time.

Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like their simplicity and their ability to handle hotter loads then any semi auto(DE excluded because they have the ghey). They are also more versitile. How many semi autos can shoot 2 different rounds? Revolvers can shoot 3 and even 4(460 S&W) If the bang doesn't happen, just keep squeezing. I arm my wife with an SP101 with 38 +ps but if I want to carry it I can load it with 357s. Show me an auto you can do that with.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer