Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Alaskan Super Redhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20050 Times on 11403 Posts
Likes Given: 50589

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheKid View Post
The alaskan super red hawk is a badass gun and I never shot one and I was wondering what I should expect when I get one
curious as to how many large caliber handguns you have shot?

what to expect? loud noise and lots of hand numbing recoil if you're not used to shooting large caliber handguns.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #12

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
curious as to how many large caliber handguns you have shot?

what to expect? loud noise and lots of hand numbing recoil if you're not used to shooting large caliber handguns.
My wife goes to the range and blows off a box of 357 mag because she had a bad day. Oh yah! I forgot to mention she has a lot of experience with large caliber handguns.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Billy,

This gun was dubbed the "Alaskan" because it fits a very specific niche. It is meant for people living in the North or mountainous areas that have both a need to conceal carry and the very real chance to run into an 800lb animal that wants to kill them.

Since the gun weighs just under three pounds and has a 2.5in barrel, there will be a strong recoil pulse and muzzle flip that will most likely point the gun close to straight up. Again, people in Alaska would not be firing this without heavy gloves on, which might help felt recoil.

This is a specialty weapon that fills a specific need and not practical to most hunters or shooters because heavier weapons can be found in the same caliber with longer barrels for both better accuracy and less felt recoil. This is not a weapon you would want to target shoot! I imagine most owners sight it in and don't fire it again.

If you still want one, you can find these big bore cannons on sites like Guns America or Gun Broker all the time including a box of shells minus the six that they fired that made them want to sell it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I still find myself wanting an Alaskan, even though I know all the short comings of it.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
If you're a real man, get 2 and dual wield....
Why haven't I seen this in a video or movie yet?!?!?!

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #16

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
I still find myself wanting an Alaskan, even though I know all the short comings of it.
I know the feeling. Everytime i go and look at new handguns I always go and look at it. Its very impracticle but i love the look and feel of the alaskan.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #17

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anyone pulled the trigger on one?

I shot the 44mag model. I put 10 rounds of 44 special and i was done.
I can put 50 44mags in my grandads super redhawk. But this little alaskan daaaaaamn. My hand was sore.
As a last ditch gun it's ok. I would rather have a 2.5 or 3in gp100 in 357 for the same purpose.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #18

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF

I can put 50 44mags in my grandads super redhawk. But this little alaskan daaaaaamn. My hand was sore.
As a last ditch gun it's ok. I would rather have a 2.5 or 3in gp100 in 357 for the same purpose.
But sometimes you just need a bigger gun, wether you actually need it or just want it, either way; you need it.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post

No way I want to try and kill a pissed off Grizzly or Brown with a .357.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM
Expect a cone of flame that immolates all that stand before you.

Expect a slight jolt that reacts with the nerve endings in your hand, sending impulses through your body, ending at the junction betwixt your legs, and spilling your seed.

Expect spontaneous beard growth.

Look for the urge to take off your belt, make a sling, commandeer a UH-1H, strap the Ruger in, and do some door gunning.

Expect women to dew up in your presence.

If you're a real man, get 2 and dual wield....
Very well written reply. Nothing against the original poster of this thread but here in WI a pistol such as this is not practical.