Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Advice needed

I'm looking for buy a small revolver for concealed carry. I've settled on a Ruger LCR in 38 special. I've been thinking about trading a pistol for it. I have a colt 1911 commander 45 acp, and a s&w victory model in 38 spec that I'm willing to part with. I love both of the two guns. I normally carry the 1911 but I never shoot the it any more because of 45 ammo prices. I love the look and feel of the s&w but I wouldn't use it as a carry. I'm just looking for any advice on which to consider giving up. Would one hold more value over time? I bought the colt brand new and the s&w is about 70 years old. Any advice is helpful. Let's hear your input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

All i'll say is I have a S&W victory that isn't going anywhere--
I'd never trade any of my 1911's for any Ruger revolver---
Save sum money or put one on layaway---
Just my 2 bits

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1590 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 786

The Colt is worth a lot more than what you are talking about trading for. If it were me I would not trade, as the dealer will get you on both ends!!!
If you MUST get rid of one to get the smaller revolver just sell it outright and buy the revolver, you will make out FAR better that way.
Send me a PM please.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

I guess I should clarify, the plan was to sell one and use the money towards the ruger. Using the word "trade" was poor word choice on my end

Old 09-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortinsj
I guess I should clarify, the plan was to sell one and use the money towards the ruger. Using the word "trade" was poor word choice on my end
I say getting rid of either is a terrible idea.

You never know when you'll want that gun back.

Save some money. Put the Ruger on layaway. There are ways to cut corners while saving money. Eat fast food once less per week. Smoke one less pack of cigarettes per month. Take up odd-jobs around the neighborhood ("Do you need your lawn mowed, Mrs. Smith?"). Start a lemon-aid stand.

I know those prolly aren't the best ideas. But you get my drift.

Just don't get rid of guns. I suspect you'll regret it down the road.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #6

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I agree with not getting rid of one. I've gotten rid of guitars I thought I didn't/wouldn't want and I've regretted it and wished I had just been patient and saved up.

Chances are what you think you don't want now, you'll wish you had back later.

Of course you choose in the end, but I've read plenty of people on here say they got rid of a gun they wish they hadn't. I'm pretty sure everyone has done something like that, and it's an annoying feeling when you realize what you did.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 401 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Keep what you have, 38spl ammo isn't that much cheaper than .45. Your S&W is a classic. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

My vault is like a gun black hole. Once a gun gets sucked in there there no way it can ever get out other than a trip to the range. Like most of the others I would try to keep both and buy the Ruger. If you have been watching the prices of used guns you know their value just keep going up much faster than most investments. That being said if I HAD to let one of them go it would be the S&W. Looks like they are going for between $300 and $500 or maybe a little more depending on condition. Also the Victory model are C&R eligible so thats a positive. Thats just my opinion. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the input guys. After reading all this I think I will have onto both and just save some money.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Good choice.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis