Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Advice needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/advice-needed-97148/)

fortinsj 09-16-2013 07:45 PM

Advice needed

I'm looking for buy a small revolver for concealed carry. I've settled on a Ruger LCR in 38 special. I've been thinking about trading a pistol for it. I have a colt 1911 commander 45 acp, and a s&w victory model in 38 spec that I'm willing to part with. I love both of the two guns. I normally carry the 1911 but I never shoot the it any more because of 45 ammo prices. I love the look and feel of the s&w but I wouldn't use it as a carry. I'm just looking for any advice on which to consider giving up. Would one hold more value over time? I bought the colt brand new and the s&w is about 70 years old. Any advice is helpful. Let's hear your input

HOSSFLY 09-16-2013 08:14 PM

All i'll say is I have a S&W victory that isn't going anywhere--
I'd never trade any of my 1911's for any Ruger revolver---
Save sum money or put one on layaway---
Just my 2 bits ;)

JimRau 09-16-2013 08:15 PM

The Colt is worth a lot more than what you are talking about trading for. If it were me I would not trade, as the dealer will get you on both ends!!!:eek:
If you MUST get rid of one to get the smaller revolver just sell it outright and buy the revolver, you will make out FAR better that way.:)
Send me a PM please.

fortinsj 09-16-2013 08:27 PM

I guess I should clarify, the plan was to sell one and use the money towards the ruger. Using the word "trade" was poor word choice on my end

JW357 09-17-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortinsj
I guess I should clarify, the plan was to sell one and use the money towards the ruger. Using the word "trade" was poor word choice on my end

I say getting rid of either is a terrible idea.

You never know when you'll want that gun back.

Save some money. Put the Ruger on layaway. There are ways to cut corners while saving money. Eat fast food once less per week. Smoke one less pack of cigarettes per month. Take up odd-jobs around the neighborhood ("Do you need your lawn mowed, Mrs. Smith?"). Start a lemon-aid stand.

I know those prolly aren't the best ideas. But you get my drift.

Just don't get rid of guns. I suspect you'll regret it down the road.

sbeezy 09-17-2013 03:40 AM

I agree with not getting rid of one. I've gotten rid of guitars I thought I didn't/wouldn't want and I've regretted it and wished I had just been patient and saved up.

Chances are what you think you don't want now, you'll wish you had back later.

Of course you choose in the end, but I've read plenty of people on here say they got rid of a gun they wish they hadn't. I'm pretty sure everyone has done something like that, and it's an annoying feeling when you realize what you did.

gr8oldguy 09-17-2013 02:42 PM

Keep what you have, 38spl ammo isn't that much cheaper than .45. Your S&W is a classic. good luck

string1946 09-17-2013 05:34 PM

My vault is like a gun black hole. Once a gun gets sucked in there there no way it can ever get out other than a trip to the range. Like most of the others I would try to keep both and buy the Ruger. If you have been watching the prices of used guns you know their value just keep going up much faster than most investments. That being said if I HAD to let one of them go it would be the S&W. Looks like they are going for between $300 and $500 or maybe a little more depending on condition. Also the Victory model are C&R eligible so thats a positive. Thats just my opinion. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

fortinsj 09-17-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys. After reading all this I think I will have onto both and just save some money.

string1946 09-17-2013 05:45 PM

Good choice.