Advice on my first handgun, please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Advice on my first handgun, please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advice on my first handgun, please

Hi,

I just joined this forum!

These handguns will be for fun, recreational range shooting, NOT home defense or to carry......

I am a NJ resident and I should be getting my FID and 2 permits shortly. I have
never owned a handgun before and have just started to learn to shoot. I have
decided my first will be 2 revolvers...a .22 and a .38.

For the .22. I am willing to buy used in MINT condition and probably new for the

For the .22, I am unsure which revolver, so maybe you all can recommend a
model to me!!

For the .38, I am looking at the Ruger GP100, the Smith and Wessen Model 67
or the Model 15.

Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispering View Post
Hi,

I just joined this forum!

These handguns will be for fun, recreational range shooting, NOT home defense or to carry......

I am a NJ resident and I should be getting my FID and 2 permits shortly. I have
never owned a handgun before and have just started to learn to shoot. I have
decided my first will be 2 revolvers...a .22 and a .38.

For the .22. I am willing to buy used in MINT condition and probably new for the

For the .22, I am unsure which revolver, so maybe you all can recommend a
model to me!!

For the .38, I am looking at the Ruger GP100, the Smith and Wessen Model 67
or the Model 15.

Any thoughts?
A reasonably priced .22 revolver - whether new or used - is one of the holy grails of the handgun world. Other than S&W, the common choices are Taurus & Charter - neither of which I would buy. Ruger made the SP101 in .22 for a time but they are quite rare and hard to find. A used Dan Wesson can be a great find as well but they are also getting scarce. (I'm assuming you're looking for a DA .22 revolver). The S&W's, both new & used are fine guns but you'll be spending near $700 to get one.

As for .38 revolvers, I'd recommend getting a .357 and then at least you'll have the option of shooting magnum loads if you desire to. The revolvers you list are great guns as is the S&W 686 which is the .357 version.

No, I didn't enjoy paying over $600 for this 3 years ago, but it's worth every penny and I could sell it today at a profit in a NY second - a S&W 617 .22 10 shot version...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-29-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have really enjoyed my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel. The sights are great and the long barrel tames the recoil.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Hi, I just joined this forum!

OK, I hafta ask; why not home defense? Are the NJ police that good? Are they going to be in your house at 3:00 AM when some meth-head kicks in your front door?
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hands down, look for a vintage S&W .357 Rem Mag!

IMHO, a far superior wheel gun compared to today’s mass-produced offerings. And besides, anyone with CIF (Cash In Fist) can buy a current production gun. A vintage wheel gun has providence, street-cred and no one will come up to you at the range and say, “why don’t you remove that price sticker?”

With some savy shopping you can save 30-50% off a NIB gun and what’s better than a successful hunt?

I got this S&W M19-3 P&R 1970 .357 for <$400.

With a .357 you can shoot and enjoy the gun with the less expensive .38 Spl ammo 90%+ of the time yet still have a robust revolver capable of tossing Magnum lead when you want.

I would be glad to help you look for a similar firearm. (All I need to do is re-activate my email notifications of my existing auto-searches for this model.) Let us know what you find.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #6

Default ok

Pinoneer,

Meth head kicking down my door at 300am?? I mean come on, can you be anymore dramatic?? I DO NOT live in the South Bronx or Detroit...I am in
the safe suburbs of central NJ!

I have to be honest...
Some of these posts in these forums are very unnerving to me. Too many cowboys that almost seem like they are looking forward to using their hand gun
to kill an intruder. Its like you are rooting for it to happen.

Last edited by whispering; 03-30-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Pinoneer,

Meth head kicking down my door at 300am?? I mean come on, can you be anymore dramatic?? I DO NOT live in the South Bronx or Detroit...I am in
Kinda like that SAFE "Gun Free Zone" at Virginia Tech? Evil is not constrained by geographic or political borders.

Quote:
I have to be honest...
Some of these posts in these forums are very unnerving to me. Too many cowboys that almost seem like they are looking forward to using their hand gun to kill an intruder.
Never confuse "WILLING" to shoot an intruder with wanting to shoot that same intruder.

We do not shoot to kill, we shoot to live.

I'd rather walk down that "South Bronx or Detroit..." [sic] street with any one of these cowboys than a Bill Maher every/any day!

I'm sorry you feel "...very unnerving..." [sic] about this bite of the reality sandwich.

Take a gander at this and maybe you will understand our perspective of said sandwich;

Read this before you decide to carry!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Pinoneer,

I have to be honest...
Some of these posts in these forums are very unnerving to me. Too many cowboys that almost seem like they are looking forward to using their hand gun
to kill an intruder. Its like you are rooting for it to happen.
Contrary to what you posted, most here really wish they don't have to use their gun in self defense but most also believe that it is better to be ready and have something to use than need one and not have it.

I hope your sense of security does not cost you something dear to you. Criminals do not discriminate and respect no neighborhood or social class.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Yes, I know you don't intend to carry but just for S&G; with a play gun in your safe NJ home, what will you do when NYC collapses and the zombies dare to enter your neighborhood to take your last can of corn?

- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2597 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Whispering,

I think I understand your intended use. Mostly target and fun shooting! But nothing wrong with using the 4" or 6" 38 or 357 Cal. Pistol for protection also. The good thing, as the guys have mentioned is that if for example the pistol is a 357Mag. You can certainly also shoot 38s in it accurately as well. You can load it with 38 target loads for target shooting and then load her with some Defense Rounds for home protection. The 22 Revolver. The Smith K-22 is a very nice revolver but on the top side regarding cost. My first Revolver was a Ruger Single Six with two cylinders. One was a standard 22 and the other cylinder was a 22 Mag. It was a fine revolver and fun to shoot. Good luck on your search and let us know what you end up with!