Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 9mm vs 38spl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Okay,Taurus is making revolvers with tooling and specks left over from S&W. I've understood that. But wasn't the PT. 92 made to the old Beretta specks? Or, am I mistaken, and should shut the hell up?
only difference being the location of the magazine catch. My Taurus pt92AFS has 18,000 rds of failure free operation.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #52

Taurus built licensed copies of the Beretta, for Beretta, awhile back. They bought the tooling when the two parted company in the 70s (?...sorry, don't know the year). They and Rossie had the same deal with S&W.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #53

[QUOTE=Moe M.;415667]A .38 special round is a better manstopper than a 9mm, especially in round nose/ball type ammo.

Not quite sure where you have derived this from, but this is the first time I have ever heard that, or seen any type of real world scenarios that would lead someone to believe such a thing...??

Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #54

+ 1 for a Ruger GP100. One of the finest shooting .357's I have shot.
That being said, I just picked up a Taurus 607 with 6 1/2" barrel that is very, very nice for the money.
Another very nice shooting revolver is the Ruger Security Six. It is the predecessor to the GP100 and can sometimes be found as a law enforcement trade in for decent money.
Between the GP100 and the 686 Smith's that I have shot, I would take the Ruger hands down. Mostly because of the cost difference. The last gp100 I shot (which is heavily influencing my memory/perception) had some really nice grips on it that made it MUCH nicer to shoot than the 686 I had shot a couple weeks prior. No doubt that a grip change would have put it on par with the Ruger, but it would not have cut the price in half.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #55

[quote=BLRacing67;439724]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
A .38 special round is a better manstopper than a 9mm, especially in round nose/ball type ammo.

Not quite sure where you have derived this from, but this is the first time I have ever heard that, or seen any type of real world scenarios that would lead someone to believe such a thing...??
+1
I hears stories about the old 158gr lead round nose .38 special police round. Wasn't considered an effective round. It was sometimes called a widow-maker, and was one of the reasons for the .357. OTOH, haven't heard much about the 9mm ball, but I'd bet it wasn't much better.

Both round, with modern bullet, are much better now.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1171 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I carry either a Ruger SR9c or a S&W J frame 38. I got the J frame back from my daughter because she liked shooting a 9 mm beter then the 38 sp. due to the recoil. I would suggest you have her shoot first, and let her decide what she likes to shoot. Better she carry something she will practice with.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #57

Default taurus and beretta

I don't know if this proves that taurus made guns for beretta but on one of gun auction sites there is a pair of Jetfire 950 ,25acp with the same serial number for sale. The posting says that the guns have the same serial number but one was built by beretta and the other was built in Brazil. Taurus is a Brazilian company I believe.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #58

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

[quote=BLRacing67;439724]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
A .38 special round is a better manstopper than a 9mm, especially in round nose/ball type ammo.

Don't know how well it rates stopping power but on inanimate objects like old steel 55 gallon drums a LRN out of a 6 inch 38 spcl revolver will out penetrate a FMJ 9 MM out of a 4 inch semi auto. On a steel open top drum the 38 will penetrate both sides, a 9MM wont.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #59

Quote:
Something to consider, now that every "expert" handgunner has discounted the wheel gun as a defensive weapon and religated it the outdated shelf, there;s a flood of good serviceable revolvers on the market for pretty cheap money, one can usually find a good minty used .38 spec. for about $200.00 dollars, add another $75. bucks and you can get a .357 mag.
This is great advice. Some of the finest revolvers made are selling for next to nothing because the owner switched to some fancy plastic auto. I just bought a Ruger Security Six for $200, and it came with a box of .357mag. This is a great shooting gun. Not too bad with the magnums and a real *****cat with .38sp.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #60

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beretta Built its own factory in Brazil in the 80s to build the Model 92. When the contract that required the new facility was up, it was cheaper for them to sell the entire factory than it was to ship back all the machinery and probably pay all the skilled workers severence fees (or whatever). Taurus (which in itself is just a manufacturing company) bought the entire factory and all its skilled workers for what I guess both companies saw as a good deal. I also had a PT92 that worked great and never had a single problem.

With comparable firearm lengths, the 9mm is a little more powerful than the .38sp. You have to realize, a 4" barrel .38sp is really like a 5.5" barrel 9mm when you factor in the length of the cylinder. So, if you are comparing the ballistics of compacts, it really is fair to only use snubbies compared to ~3.5" barrel lengths.

In reality, they are similar enough ballistically that I wouldn't worry about the difference.

Generally speaking, since they are so close ballistically I would in some cases be inclined to say an auto is better strictly for its capacity. For a full-sized weapon, you can have literally three times the number of shots (obviously). However, there are several benefits to the revolver:

1) People underestimate the level of hand rigidity required to keep some autos functioning. Shooting with your weak hand while running backward is much more likely to result in "limp-wristing" than shooting in a solid weaver stance. As mentioned above, shooting across your chest with one hand while trying to drive with the other or whatever, form is likely to go out of the window and you might limp-wrist an auto. Now, some really good autos are probably almost impervious to this, but especially smaller ones are much easier to limp-wrist without a solid two-handed grip.

2) Revolvers tend to be more accurate and obviously can be loaded with anything that will chamber. So, for a woods gun it could be advantageous to be able to shoot a squirrel with a down-loaded .38 at 30 yards away, and then load it with 180gr HC bullets to defend yourself against a several-hundred-pound animal.

Until I thought of / discovered those potential advantages for revolvers, I never saw the reason to use a revolver if it wasn't to be chambered in something significantly more powerful than common autos (so, .44mag or larger), OR used when more accuracy than typically autos was desired (like a .357 at 100 yards on a deer, or whatever). However, now I do see the advantage of an accuracy DA/SA .38sp that, like I said, could be loaded for anything from personal defense to squirrel to snakes, AND absolutely always go bang when you pull the trigger.