Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 9mm vs 38spl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
actually yes. some 9mm revolvers had to use half-moon clips
So . . . NO. . . .

Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

i felt like splitting hairs

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #33

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

atta - boy !

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks diggsbakes for the advice but I always thought the made 9mm for revolvers.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #35

Thank you for all the reply's, the main reason I asked is because I have no experience with wheel guns. she has shot all of my semiautos except for the 45 and is kinda funny she likes the hipoint c9 better than any of them. we did go to gun show so she could actually hold the guns and get a feel for them and liked the taurus and the charter arms but i just dont trust the charter arms stuff. I have put about 800 rounds thru a taurus pt -92 a friend let me try out(and will be buying one soon) so i know there are some good and some bad guns out there but i have seen that with other "better" guns. I just want a simple easy gun for her that if something happens she wount have to worry. If i have to buy a bunch of 38 for her to practice with its not the end of the world and i have been leaning towards getting a 357 so we have options. I am a ruger fan so the lcr 357 is on the list

Kel Tec S2K and PF9
Ruger P345 and 10/22
Hi-Point C9 and 995ts
Mossburg 500
Beretta 21a
Chiappa 1911-22
mosin nagant 91/30
so many others on the wish list and so little money

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
thanks diggsbakes for the advice but I always thought the made 9mm for revolvers.
well a 38spl is actually .35 and 9mm is also .35

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so what your saying the bullets are the same size but one just has a bigger charge of powder behind it?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #38

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Regardless of what Jon is erroneously trying to say, yes and no to your question.

MOST 9mm bullets are .355 diameter, but depending on the actual round, they can be anywhere from. 355 to. 365.

You can load .355, .356 or. 357 diameter for 38 spl.

38 chamberings can run from .355 to .361.

not all .38 chamberings are the same diameter, and neither are 9mm chamberings.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im not erronously saying it. 9mm nato is .357 with minor variance 38spl is 357 with minor varience that really doesnt matter less your splitting hairs.

when reloading where it really matters using the same sized bullets to the third decimal is important for proper crimp and seating depth but when talking about already loaded pistol chamberings loads to the second decimal is sufficient.

unless your splitting hairs.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i want to add one more thing. bullets are also differentiated by weight. so in loading manuals you have diameter and weight. just because bullets are the same diameter doesnt mean they will work in a different application. always consult a loading manusl and use the correct diameter bullet with the correct weight and design for a given set of load data.

bullets designed to function in a .380ACP will almost certainly not work and may be dangerous in a .357magnum or .38 spl. even though they have the same diameter.

when tlking about loaded ammo do not confuse bullet diameter with the cartridge itself. what willful and i are arguing about is more in depth grognardish stuff. only use the ammo designed and recomended by the manufacturer for a given firearm.