9mm snubbie. Does it make any sense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 9mm snubbie. Does it make any sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Assuming that you need it for concealed carry, you are always looking for compromises when it comes to this issue. I was in a similar situation, and the question you need to ask is: Will you need more that 6 bullets. In my case I evaluated that the answer could be yes, so I discarted the option to use my Colt King Cobra, and bought a semi-auto, in this case a Sig P250. But that shouldn't necessarily stop you for getting the Ruger. I have guns that I bought just becuase I like them for what they are, and becuase they are fun to shoot. That is one of the reasons I bought my Taurus Raging Bull [.44Mag - 8 3/8"]. But I sure don't use that gun for concealed carry,...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My old karate instructor carried a ruger 9mm revolver. It was an excellent weapon, easy to reload and accurate enough for the job. Very concealable too!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #13

Yes it does. The 9mm is better ballistically out of a short barrel than the 38. On the other hand the recoil of a 9mm snubby is sharper than that of a 38. One has to consider the availability of ammunition in the lcocation as well. The use of moon clips has been debated, ad infinitum, so you have to settle which side of the fence you are on. For me, I have no problem using moon clips. The down side of the 9mm snubby is that good ones are difficult to find and are often expensive.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

NO!

This type of weapon makes absolutely no sense.

9mm = high capacity, quick firing pistol. Not low capacity slow firing revolver.

This is God's will. . . let it be.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
NO!

This type of weapon makes absolutely no sense.

9mm = high capacity, quick firing pistol. Not low capacity slow firing revolver.
My favourite high capacity semiauto is a .45!

I've been hearing mixed opinions about moon clips, luckily a friend is willing to lend me his .357/9mm FN Barracuda to use for a while and decide whether I like them or not.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Sure, but that's .45 ACP A PISTOL ROUND intended for use as in a magazine fed, fast cycling weapon.

Not a slow firing REVOLVER.

9mm (and .45 ACP) = pistol
.357 = revolver (in practical cases)

It's too bad that Ruger came out with this line of revolvers. I'm sure they are quality. . . and apparently they've sold it. . . ok then. . . sigh. . .

Old 11-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Revolvers are slow? Watch Jerry Miculek....

Six shots...reload...six shots...all on target...2.99 seconds.
Bob Munden can draw from the holster and get off two shots, on two different targets, with a Colt SAA in .02 of a second.
The shooter might be slow, the weapon isn't.

Last edited by crossfire; 11-26-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default reload?

I question how big a factor reload time should be in the selection of a regular carry weapon. It seems to me that the need for a reaload in a real world senerio is highly unlikely. BTW, this is why I carry .45. In my estimation, you are going to shoot few rounds in a self defence situation, so make it big ones.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
Revolvers are slow? Watch Jerry Miculek....
YouTube - Fast Shoot
Six shots...reload...six shots...all on target...2.99 seconds.
Bob Munden can draw from the holster and get off two shots, on two different targets, with a Colt SAA in .02 of a second.
The shooter might be slow, the weapon isn't.
You reference people that shoot all day, everyday. I serious doubt anyone here has that luxury. We were being practical.

Just watched: There are a few people in the world that can do that. Even they can't do it all the time. C'mon.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 11-26-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: just watched

Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Sure, but that's .45 ACP A PISTOL ROUND intended for use as in a magazine fed, fast cycling weapon.

Not a slow firing REVOLVER.
I am being practical. Your statement implies that a semi-auto is inherently faster to put the bullets downrange than a revolver. Yes, I referenced very talented professionals; but I did that to point out that it takes an extremely proficient shootist to create any difference in the mechanical speed of a double action revolver vs. a semi-auto and that difference is measured in thousand's of a second. In the hands of a non-professional handgunner, the difference is non-existent. When it comes to the first shot on target, again, there is no difference at all. It's the shooter's proficiency, not the weapon itself, that is the real difference.