Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 9mm snubbie. Does it make any sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 9mm snubbie. Does it make any sense?

Summer is coming to South America, and I've been stuck at home with a knee injury thinking about a new addition to my warm weather arsenal.

I've been looking at a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. I love two things about it, first the reload speed using full moon clips (much faster than a speed loader!) and second that spare ammo is much easier to carry since loaded clips are a lot smaller than loaded speed loaders (both .38 and .357 rounds are longer than 9mm and my HKS speed loaders are bulkier than full moon clips). Speed strips aren't an option for me, I'm just too slow with them.

So this little revolver looks like a great option for the brutal South American heat. I'm just wondering what sort of performance to expect from 9mm in such a short barrel.

What do you guys think?

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a CZ 2075 RAMI and a Springfield EMP, both in 9mm. The short barrels made them very handy and they were excellent at 25yds. I figure 30 yards or so is max for accuracy.

Why not go with the SP101 in .357? It's a lot more horsepower. Is ammunition availability an issue there?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Francisco, leave it to you to come up with the first positive thing about the 9 mike mike; it's short!

You do know what J. M. Browning said when asked why he went to double stack in the development of the P-35?

They asked for it in 9mm.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You picked a great revolver in the SP101 but personally I can't find a single reason to buy it in anything but 357 Mag. I assume you can get 38/357 ammo there, if not I guess the 9 could work.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love two things about it, first the reload speed using full moon clips (much faster than a speed loader!) and second that spare ammo is much easier to carry since loaded clips are a lot smaller than loaded speed loaders (both .38 and .357 rounds are longer than 9mm and my HKS speed loaders are bulkier than full moon clips).
Franciscomv

I can see your point, and it is a good one. IF reloads are a high concern. For a principle carry gun being able to reload and reload speed can be highly important. For a hide out, last ditch, up close and personel, oh crap gun, reload speed might not be as important. If the choice is one cylinder of .357 magnum or one cylinder of 9mm and a reload, and we limit the conversation to likely real world defensive shooting encounters, I would go with the .357 magnum.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

FWIW, there are a number of .357 revolvers that accept moon clips, even though they aren't necessary. So if you prefer the .357/.38 special and were only looking at the 9mm because of being able to reload quickly with moon clips...

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Why not go with the SP101 in .357? It's a lot more horsepower. Is ammunition availability an issue there?
.357 ammo is available here, it's a bit more expensive than 9mm but not by much. So, no, availability is not an issue.

I'm on the lookout for a 3" SP101 in .357, too. Hard to find around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Francisco, leave it to you to come up with the first positive thing about the 9 mike mike; it's short!
Finding excuses for a new gun is hard work!

Seriously, though, I love snubbies for pocket carry in the summer and when my clothes don't allow anything else to be carried comfortably, but those damned speed loaders are just too bulky.

Let's forget about .357 just for a second. How would 9mm performed compared to .38 special? I mean, if they are about the same then 9mm has some advantages thanks to the extra ammo being easier to carry and reloads being faster.

In a perfect world I'd get a S&W 625, but it's not available in Argentina.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't think there's all that much difference between .38 and 9mm in self defense ammunition.

I just hate the idea of fiddling with moon clips.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It might be me but I would rather have a snub nose 357 that can use 38 ammo than a 9mm whell gun. The 38 and the 9mm are close in preformance but add in you can fire 38 or 357 That's the pistol for me if I want to carry a wheel gun.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Given the barrel length and intended range, there isn't that much difference in a 9mm and a .357 Magnum snubby EXCEPT the Magnum has a LOT more muzzle flash and is more difficult to control. The Magnum loses a lot of velocity in barrels under 4", but muzzle flash increases as the barrel gets shorter. The 9mm snubby also has a longer effective barrel length due to the shorter cartridge.
Full moon clips are hands down the fastest way to reload a double-action revolver. Ask any speed shooter and particularly Jerry Miculek.

Last edited by crossfire; 11-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.