9mm Revolver recommendations - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 9mm Revolver recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1950 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
if you understand the reason why 9mm revolvers were made, youd understand why they arent popular here. but overseas and on small 3rd world island nations...it was the 1st line of defense for leo forces for decades.

may i remind you, like steak and potato is the main american meal in usa, so was 22/38/45 for pistols until this globalization thing took off. 9mm was around...but 38 was king.
now 9mm has worked its way into american culture and the military so the concept has penetrated usa. dont be surprised if you see a re surge and return to these inexpensive guns in america. i feel they made them too soon here and it didnt take off. if they reconsidered them now...it may take off, because face it...semi's have gone sky high. like any good capitalist environment, you need an alternative. the revolver is the answer to budgeting and simplicity/functon. bullet goes in, close, pull trigger. no fumbling and needing to know a bunch of rituals to load.
I had a 45 ACP revolver. It was fine but a little boring to shoot, no contest with the 1911.

Now this is for a chuckle. Besides wanting a better product, the consumer wants to always have a wide freedom of choice, and rewards the market for providing it. The guy who came up with a model to quantify it is Paul Krugman. Last years Nobel Prize in Economics, solo winner. Best known of course as a liberal pro-Democrat columnist in the New York Times.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I recently purchased a Smith 986,a fine 5".L frame. It uses moon clips. Shoots very well,I've been using it for some local pin shoots. I'm waiting for a 929,which I think will be an even better pin gun!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #23

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There also some 9mm ruger speed , service and security six's. Mainly a cop gun over sea's.

Last edited by hardluk1; 06-29-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #24

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

Default 9mm Revolver recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
I'm considering getting a 9mm revolver so that I can share ammo with my semi-auto. I'm not seeing to many choices. Would like to find one that has a long enough barrel to be somewhat accurate. The Ruger Blackhawk looks interesting. Any recommendations?

If you have a chance to get a .357 Magnum that's convertible to a 9mm by swapping cylinders, don't. If you're looking for accuracy, the minuscule bullet diameter difference will make it much more inaccurate than through a barrel made for it.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:16 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default S&w 940

Without boring you with the history of my acquisition, I traded for and still have a S&W 940. It is a rather heavy little snubbie but I like 9mm and the full-moon clips that come with it. It is an accurate little thing and you can shoot it fast and reload rather quickly too. It did require a breaking-in period as it would lock up and the cylinder would not revolve while shooting, causing no small amount of consternation on my part. Luckily, I had just started a CPL at a little range outside of Marietta, OH where we were testing a lot of the principals that are now foundations of IDPA. Kenny Hackathorn would come out to the range and we would hash out lots of ideas that blossomed into familiar IDPA rules and regs. One of the main ideas we used in lots of stages at our club was battlefield retrieval. I decided to use the little 940 as the pick-up gun in some of them and did it ever get a work-out. That was just what it needed, though, as we worked all the bugs out of it and its action is still smooth as glass. The 940 has a snappy recoil but is easy to shoot with the rather large factory rubber grips. I decided that I wanted some boot grips to make it more concealable and found, much to my dismay, that the accuracy and controllability deteriorated to the point that I put the big grips back on and left them. If one could find a 940 and wanted a 9mm revolver, it wouldn't be a bad acquisition.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 07-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
If you have a chance to get a .357 Magnum that's convertible to a 9mm by swapping cylinders, don't. If you're looking for accuracy, the minuscule bullet diameter difference will make it much more inaccurate than through a barrel made for it.
bullets for 9mm 380acp 38spl and 357magnum are all .357 in diameter. differences is bearing surface and weight of the bullet. the shorter bearing surface makes it harder for a lightweight 115 grain 9mm .357 to transition down the the cylinder into the forcing cone and into the rifling square and true.

you really dont have the same issue with 44mag 44spl or 357mag 38spl or 45colt 45acp because the bullet weights and bearing surfaces are close or the same

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
bullets for 9mm 380acp 38spl and 357magnum are all .357 in diameter. differences is bearing surface and weight of the bullet. the shorter bearing surface makes it harder for a lightweight 115 grain 9mm .357 to transition down the the cylinder into the forcing cone and into the rifling square and true.

you really dont have the same issue with 44mag 44spl or 357mag 38spl or 45colt 45acp because the bullet weights and bearing surfaces are close or the same

9mm is .355, isn't it?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
9mm is .355, isn't it?

you can use .355 bullets there are molds for making lead bullets. but .357 is whats called for. the reason there are a variety of sizes of molds .355 .356 .357 is not all barrels are the same

if you pick up a box of 9mm off the shelf its almost certainly using .357 bullets.

if there was truth in labeling 38spl should be called 35spl 44mag should be 42mag.

this mislabeling was a marketing tactic in ye olde days as the cartridge case mouth outside diameter was often used to make a gun sound bigger than it actually is to drive sales. this was done to compete with the 45colt which actually is .451

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-05-2014 at 05:08 AM.