Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   9mm Revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/9mm-revolver-80051/)

Chuck87charger 01-02-2013 01:42 AM

9mm Revolver

I am trying to stick to 9mm hand guns in my collection for a number of reasons and my wife was asking about a revolver for her first gun. A quick google search only found a couple models. Why is 9mm a uncommon revolver caliber and does anyone have a 9mm revolver they would suggest?

rifleman1 01-02-2013 01:44 AM

I do not have a 9mm revolver but I have experience with both charter arms and Taurus and they both have a model that fires 9mm and both have been reliable enough for me to recommend looking into there models.

Gatoragn 01-02-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck87charger (Post 1075629)
I am trying to stick to 9mm hand guns in my collection for a number of reasons and my wife was asking about a revolver for her first gun. A quick google search only found a couple models. Why is 9mm a uncommon revolver caliber and does anyone have a 9mm revolver they would suggest?

Most revolvers utilize a rimmed cartridge. 9mm does not have the extra diameter rim found on a 38 spl for example.

Ruger has started offering some novel combos with their Blackhawk revolvers, 45 LC cylinder + a 45 ACP cylinder, 357 cylinder + 9 mm cylinder.

hiwall 01-02-2013 02:01 AM

Most 9mm revolvers must use a moon or half-moon clip to eject. This has both good and bad points(but mostly bad). That is why few are made.

c3shooter 01-02-2013 03:05 AM

In addition to ejection problems, when you add in gas loss at cylinder gap, 9mm is in the .38 Special power range.

clem_ 01-02-2013 10:06 PM

I have a 9mm revolver pice of JUNK! it wont take my reloads and at less then 5foot away cant hit the target!\YES its a Turaus

Bigcountry02 01-07-2013 06:01 AM

I was looking at the Taurus 905 model; but, nothing in stock. My next model is the Charter Arms has 9mm Pitbull; however, same at the Taurus.

They're both 2" snub-nose. Local dealer has put in a request; but, his go to distributor was very gloomy on availability of Charter Arms model.

The request is in.

Trez 01-10-2013 03:21 PM

I love my 9mm revolver...... ;)

Overkill0084 01-10-2013 04:03 PM

.38 Special performance with near .357 Magnum pressures, oh baby. What's not to love? :rolleyes:

Charter Arms used to be a decent gun for the money, I have a 25 yo Undercover. It does the job, but it's nothing special. I've not heard much, good or bad regarding their more recent efforts. I'd probably buy a Charter before a Taurus. (Yeah, I have one of them too.)
IMHO, a 2" revolver is a decent carry gun in some instances. I'm not entirely sure it would a great "first gun." It takes a fair bit of skill to shoot a snubbie well. Even a 9mm snubbie is going to be less than enjoyable for more than a few rounds for a new shooter. IMHO, a medium frame .357 revolver using .38s is a better way to initiate a new shooter to the revolver. There is no shortage of inexpensive used 4" Model 10 or Model 19 S&Ws out there that would work great for your needs.
YMMV.

Maddox 01-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcountry02
I was looking at the Taurus 905 model; but, nothing in stock. My next model is the Charter Arms has 9mm Pitbull; however, same at the Taurus.

They're both 2" snub-nose. Local dealer has put in a request; but, his go to distributor was very gloomy on availability of Charter Arms model.

The request is in.

If you live anywhere in the Marion County Oregon area, I know where you can get a blue Taurus 905.