Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 500 s&W mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default 500 s&W mag.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking to get a good revolver and have shot 357 and 44mag. Just wondering if it'd be worth it to go really big.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Rob,

I do not have one but have shot one! A buddy of mine has a 500 and a 454 Cassuel. The 500 is a whole lot of gun! You may really like one if you are into the 44 Mag. But significantly more recoil! If you could you might want to shoot one before you spend the money! Nice gun just a whole lot of power.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Do you really want to spend $4+ every time you pull the trigger?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Rob,

I do not have one but have shot one! A buddy of mine has a 500 and a 454 Cassuel. The 500 is a whole lot of gun! You may really like one if you are into the 44 Mag. But significantly more recoil! If you could you might want to shoot one before you spend the money! Nice gun just a whole lot of power.

Is the recoil really more then a 44mag? I've read that its an easier gun to shoot then the 44 I don't know anyone that has a 500 I was thinking off getting a 357 with a 4inch barrel to get better ballistics then the shorter barrel but I figured if I was ganna spend the money maybe I should go big? Lol it won't be a everyday gun I have others for that

Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Do you really want to spend $4+ every time you pull the trigger?
I figure all magnums are pricey to shoot well any ammo at the moment is pricey I'm just curious if it'd be a fun and worth while gun to own

Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
PGM
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not if you plan on doing alot of shooting. I have a 45.70 pistol and even though i reload the cost is close to double what 44m.cost me to reload. 500s would be about 130 a hundred versus 54 for 100 44m. reloads(midway),For me the initial euphoria would fade.My 45.70 though is banned from most pistol ranges too.But getting ammo in any form is hard.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Rob.

To me comparing the recoil of the 44 Mag to the 500 Mag is like comparing the 38 Spc to the 357 Mag if that makes sense. They are also expensive to shoot unless you reload and they still are somewhat expensive. I condsider my self not a whimp when it comes to guns and shooting. But I would not want a prolonged day's range trip or steady diet of shooting one either. Just my opinion! Did I enjoy shooting the 500 Mag and the 454 Casull? Yes I did! But I like all weapons. And like a different rush and experience once in a while from the norm and shooting all weapons I get a chance to shoot. Including my buddies 416 Rigby African Big Game Rifle but a few is "enough"!
But you mentioned the 357 Mag. That is the good thing about choosing a 357 Mag Revolver. You can shoot 38 Specials and 38 Target ammunition but also full blown 357 Magnums for what ever purpose! And I do also like the 44 Mag. and shooting 44 Specials in them for plinking.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I've never shot more than 3 shots out of the 500. To me it isn't enjoyable. The recoil isn't unbearable or anything it just looses the entertainment value quickly. The 500 also tends to have a lot of dirty blowback in my experience. Glasses are a must have. I'll shoot .44 or .357 all day long. I'll also happily shoot a .50 cal rifle all day long.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

I have a .500 S&W magnum, single shot rifle. It makes me take a step back every time I shoot it. I couldn't imagine shooting that round from a pistol. The ammunition is really expensive but it is for hunting, so you won't really go through a lot. And it is much less destructive than high velocity rounds.

No offense and none taken

Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 3323 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

PLEASE! Test it on some bears...maybe the Three Bears test: too big for cubs, too messy for the females, but just right for the big guys.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

People Like This