Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .44mag s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Buy a press and dies and start reloading otherwise you'll miss out on two things. First you won't be able to afford to shoot much due to the extraordinary cost of ammo. Secondly you'll miss out of finding loads that are lightyears ahead of factory crap, and much easier on you and anyone standing within the "blast radius" when you're shooting.
One of the first things I learned is that ammo companies seem to purposely use powder that produce a huge blast and lots of flame with most magnum ammo....apparently so you know its "magnum"!
I have 300+ grain loads I shoot from my SBH that have half the blast and no fireball that will group under 3" @ 50 yes if I don't screw up. These loads produce as much or more energy (on paper) than the factory crap with less damage to the shooter or anyone near him.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a 29-10. I ordered new rubber finger grips, and my father-in-law has the press and die kit. I am considering getting a longer barrel, but am unsure of what size would work best.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your going to change barrels you might as well look for a Dan Wesson 44 mag. It will take the hammering and longer heavier ammo and you can change barrels in 2 minutes. That S&W ain't an affordable handgun to change barrels on. Might be better to sell the one you have if you need a different barrel. Contact s&w custom shop to see about cost.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #14

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
If it has those rubber grips I'd suggest you invest in a pair of decent wood grips.

Bob Wright
Interesting. Bought my M29 in 1978. While the factory wood grips look nice, the checkering would bloody the heel of my hand. Opted for Pachmayr grips which were not only easier on my hand, they also absorb a good deal of the recoil.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #15

Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Interesting. Bought my M29 in 1978. While the factory wood grips look nice, the checkering would bloody the heel of my hand. Opted for Pachmayr grips which were not only easier on my hand, they also absorb a good deal of the recoil.
I've had the web of my hand abraded raw as the gun rolled up in recoil to the point a painful blister formed using rubber grips. This, plus the overall feel of rubber has turned me sour against rubber grips.

Also at times I have been slowed down as I try to shift my grasp at times as the rubber won't allow fine adjustments in my grip.

Over the years I've just developed a nasty taste for rubber grips. Do prefer smooth wood, however, not checkered.

One of the worst experiemnces I've had was with a .45-70 stocked with rubber.

Bob Wright

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #16

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Also at times I have been slowed down as I try to shift my grasp at times as the rubber won't allow fine adjustments in my grip.

Bob Wright
I've heard that complaint about rubber from guys who shoot competition. Fact is I haven't shot the .44mag enough to find the bad side of rubber grips. Think I'll look into some smooth wood grips. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It looks good! I've had the wood, Pachmeyer, and Hogue grips and the Hogue seem to work the beat for me. An action job is always a plus. As I've gotten older I like the green fiber optic front sight. The red is too much. Have you been out hunting the first thong in the morning or the last thing on an overcast day and seen the glow from someones blaze orange before they top a ridge?
When you begin reloading there are endless options. You bought a .44 magnum so you probably want a .44 magnum not a .44 spl. If you choose to keep your 29 "'till the sun don't shine". You might be wise to keep your velocities in the 1200 fps plus range. Yes, you can go hotter,but, you are trading off longevity. A velocity in that range will do anything that needs getting done in the lower 48, is accurate, and is fun to shoot.
It isn't aplastic gun, so carrying it all day could be a chore so think about a shoulder rig. I hunted with a gentleman in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, who carried a Ruger in .45 Colt for one day and the rest of the hunt it stayed in his tent. It was a really pretty belt and holster and there were really big bears around.