.44 mag. Carry Piece? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .44 mag. Carry Piece?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the Roper style grip for a heavy handgun.

DK

Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Those Ropers are nice.

Joshua 1:9

Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #53

Creeker thx very much for your comment. I have been a Roper fan going back to the days of Kieth and Cooper. These were made from a head board for a bed. The bed came up to Wyoming from Missouri in the 1880s on an imagrant wagon train. I have no idea how old the wood is. They were made by a very old and dear USMC comrade who lives in Atlanta, Ga. So yes they are very special. Thx

DK

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #54

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Great story for a great set of sixgun stocks. Thanks for sharing.

Joshua 1:9

Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #55

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Creeker thx very much for your comment. I have been a Roper fan going back to the days of Kieth and Cooper. These were made from a head board for a bed. The bed came up to Wyoming from Missouri in the 1880s on an imagrant wagon train. I have no idea how old the wood is. They were made by a very old and dear USMC comrade who lives in Atlanta, Ga. So yes they are very special. Thx

DK
That IS a great story and congrats. With the smooth, Roper style grips do you get a good, secure feel? I've been thinking about dressing up my M-28 with something like that, but always thought they might be rather slick.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #56

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd45 View Post
HKSlinger, there AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS BIGFOOT COUNTRY!!!! jd45
I beg to differ jd. When I'm out side of an evening, having a few beers, he'll come by and have a few with me. Funny..........he usually stops by after about 23 beers.

"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #57

HK they are smooth not slick. I like the smooth grips. They do not bite my paws with heavy recoil. They allow me a more constant grip on the revolver. I have a S&W Mdl 27 3 1/2" I would like to get smooth grips on it. Hell yes Big Foot is real. It some times takes 4 shots of Wild Turkey 101 to find him.

DK

Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #58

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

See jd. I'm not the only one. Just how much "proof" ya need? Thanks Kid, I'll look a little harder at those grips.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #59

"Proof" thats all we need.

DK

Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #60

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I CCed my 8" Raging Bull all day today. Was out shopping and running errands. Overall I spent probably 2.5 hours in the car (with it on my hip), and probably 1.5-2 hours walking around stores.

I have been carrying it with the barrel just stuffed IWB at about 8:30, with the butt forward for a right-handed cross draw. The front of the cylinder was resting on the top of my belt. I have now seen a couple of actual holster options, but I don't know if any of them will work since they all put the cylinder below the pants line, which I think would make it sit too low on my body. I might look into making something, but this has actually worked surprisingly well (at least, for no holster at all).

I am 6' / 145lbs, and wear size small and often tailored jackets, and I was surprised how easy it still has been to conceal this thing, under either an open or zipped vest today. The vest is tight enough that a full-sized pistol will bulge under it when carried at the ~12:30 position (appendix carry), but at the right angle the Bull didn't print noticably. I have other looser vests and jackets that work even better, but I wanted to try this one today.

It wasn't always comfortable, but it was definitely comforting .

This vest cannot conceal belt-mounted speedloader pouches at all, so I just tossed one into the vest pocket. Other jackets can conceal 4 on my belt above my right thigh.

BTW I did also have a small auto with me, but it actually didn't stay on my person the whole time. I experimented with carrying it up front at 12:30, and behind my right hip for a strong side draw. Worked well enough, I suppose, but the vest was definitely not cut to conceal two pistols lol.