.44 mag. Carry Piece? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .44 mag. Carry Piece?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a Mod. 29 blue 3" several years ago and wish I still had it. It shot nice and I had a special holster made for it. I believe it was a Lou Horton special run. Very rare. I now have a 29 Classic blue with a 5" full lug barrel. You can't go wrong with S&W. Dogwalk

Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #32

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=BIGBEN;411731]
I see you probably dont go heavy because of the H&K name...

No, I don't go "heavy" because I think its stupid. I have enough confidence in my ability that a single pistol is just fine. I don't have to carry everything I own. I might also pack a hide out auto in an ankle rig depending on the tasks at hand. I think carrying extra mags makes more sense.

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 02-08-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #33

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Or you could do one better:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a .44 mag Taurus with a 4" barrel and would never consider it for a carry gun. Too big, too heavy, and just knowing how punishing that gun is to fire would make me flinch, and forget about that follow-up second shot. Seriously, I've tried different grips on it but after a couple dozen rounds, I know I've been shooting it, and I'm not a small guy...

That's just me though. I'm sure there's plenty of people who can make it work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #35

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, grips have a lot to do with how well someones gonna shoot a big bore.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #36

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Or you could do one better:

Cane, did you have to rob batteries from that remote for your camera?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I have a .44 mag Taurus with a 4" barrel and would never consider it for a carry gun. Too big, too heavy, and just knowing how punishing that gun is to fire would make me flinch, and forget about that follow-up second shot. Seriously, I've tried different grips on it but after a couple dozen rounds, I know I've been shooting it, and I'm not a small guy...
Just curious, as I am getting ready to take the conceal carry class here in Charleston. What is the point of carrying a piece? My assumption at this point would be to use it for self-defense, no? with that being the case, I need a shot, 2, maybe a few more at the most? I am 6'6" and go at 350 pounds (I wear a 54XL jacket), and have been in a few situations (they came at me, not the other way around) where I wished that I had a piece (the POS ended up stabbing me). I can't help but think that someone my size would be more convincing with a larger piece, as a smaller gun seems to look like a toy. My wife's Browning 380 is just a little too small for my hands, so I was thinking of getting something with a 4.5 to 5" barrel. Cane... that Colt looks AWESOME!! What kind is that?

Doesn't the size of the one doing the shooting matter? Again, I am just trying to garner some education here. I am not one who generally ends up in adverse situations. I don't drink, don't do drugs, I'm an IT Engineer, but I do ride motorcycles with my wife frequently, and protection is key.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1579 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post

That's just me though. I'm sure there's plenty of people who can make it work.
You can shoot 44 special in the 44 mag. It is about the same power as a 45ACP. I have owned and shot 44 mags and the recoil is highly overrated. I am not a big guy and I dont have a problem with it. Have someone who shoots heavy calibers check your grip and stance. The proper grip makes a huge difference. You are right about the weight. I have been looking at the Taurus Tracker 4" (34 oz) as hiking gun. For the house or street carry I would load 44 special. 44 mag has way too much penetration and too much risk of collateral damage.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #39

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyJim View Post
Just curious, as I am getting ready to take the conceal carry class here in Charleston. What is the point of carrying a piece? My assumption at this point would be to use it for self-defense, no? with that being the case, I need a shot, 2, maybe a few more at the most? I am 6'6" and go at 350 pounds (I wear a 54XL jacket), and have been in a few situations (they came at me, not the other way around) where I wished that I had a piece (the POS ended up stabbing me). I can't help but think that someone my size would be more convincing with a larger piece, as a smaller gun seems to look like a toy. My wife's Browning 380 is just a little too small for my hands, so I was thinking of getting something with a 4.5 to 5" barrel. Cane... that Colt looks AWESOME!! What kind is that?

Doesn't the size of the one doing the shooting matter? Again, I am just trying to garner some education here. I am not one who generally ends up in adverse situations. I don't drink, don't do drugs, I'm an IT Engineer, but I do ride motorcycles with my wife frequently, and protection is key.

Thanks!
The purpose of a permit is to place YOU in charge of YOUR defense - no other reason. (The YOUR includes friends/family with you). The only factor relating the size of the gun to size of the individual is that bigger folks tend to conceal bigger guns a bit better. I'm 6-4 and go 250 and my everyday carry is a "mouse gun" a Sig P238 - it fits my lifestyle and mode of dress. A gun that is not convenient and comfortable to carry - won't be carried sometimes. An adage from somewhere: "The .380 in your pocket will be much more effective than the .45 you left at home"...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Over the years, I've carried a Ruger SR9, a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel, a Para Ordnance P14, a P13 and yes, a Taurus TCP in .380. My current carry gun is a Kahr CW9, and I'd have to say it's my favorite. The right mix of firepower and weight.

Maybe someone can borrow you a couple different guns and you can carry them around for a day or two on weekends or something and get a feel for what you like best. Wearing one all day gave me a little different perspective.

I always figured that I could strap on an elephant gun but if I can't hit anything with it, it doesn't do me any good. One other note, and I mean this as respectfully as possible-it's really not about convincing anyone about anything. If you pull a gun on someone, you best be ready to use it. If someone is stupid enough to get in a confrontation with you, it probably isn't going to matter what you're pointing at him/her. I expect the person giving the CC class will tell you the same thing.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."