Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .44 mag. Carry Piece?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

We have a gun show coming soon. I'll take a look at the 4"ers. Thanks for all the info.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own a S&W 629 Talo edition with a 3" barrel. The first time I shot it I was worried that the recoil was going to be extreme but its actually not bad. I fired 150 rounds worth the first time; the first 130 all double action. I figure in a self-defense situation I won't be cocking a hammer.

Attachment 21773

First I fired 50 rounds of 44 Magnum Magtech 240gr. SJSP and the recoil was not that bad at all, color me surprised. Then I went through 50 rounds of 200gr. 44 SPL CCI Blazer (very very mild). Then I shot 30 rounds of the carry load I pick for this gun, Fiocchi Extrema 240 Hornady XTP hollow points. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between these and the Magtech loads. Finally, just for stupidity sake I shot 20rds or Corbon 300gr. penetrator loads. Those were quite snappy, but still managable in SA.

The group below is the Fiocchi Extrema loads at 10 yards (sorry for the cell pic). I threw two shots away.
The video is me as well. If you notice I have the target at the back wall which is 25 yards and all the rounds
are within the black square and all but 3 rounds are within the "heart".

Attachment 21774

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That's one big, bad ass, good looking gun. Nice shootin tex! Now, in the cell phone pic.,was that double action?

"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
That's one big, bad ass, good looking gun. Nice shootin tex! Now, in the cell phone pic.,was that double action?
Thanks. That was double action as well, but was 10 yards not 25 yards like in the video. It takes some practice but it is by no means impossible to use this as a self defense gun. I currently carry it in the below Desantis Holster (personally modifiied):
Attachment 21802

I am currently carrying 44 Mag Fiocchi Extrema loads with the 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets. But so far I have tried 44 Mag Corbon 300 grain Penetrator loads, 44 Mag Hornady 240 grain XTP, CCI Blazer 44 SPL 200 grain Speer Gold Dot loads, and Winchester 44 SPL 200 grain Silvertip loads.

Here are the chrony results per 10 shot average:

44 Mag Corbon 300 grain - 910fps
44 Mag Hornady 240 grain - 1175fps
44 Mag Fiocchi 240 grain - 1122fps
44 SPL CCI Blazer 200 grain - 720fps
44 SPL Winchester 200 grain - 772fps

Maybe it is just me but the recoil of this gun it not what many people warned me about, it seems far milder than I was expecting.
I always carried a .45ACP 1911; however, I have been carrying this ever since I bought it. The way I figure it is that in this 44 mag,
a 240 grain round at 1122fps is faster and heaver than my 45 ACP with a 230 grain round at a 900-1000 fps and only 0.023
of an inch smaller in diameter.

FYI, the first pic is a Winchester Slivertip and the last is a Corbon Penetrator:

Attachment 21800
Attachment 21801

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the load info..Gives me a little more to digest. Years ago I bought a 29 with a 6" for a hog hunt. I also,didn't find it that punishing to shoot,even with, "hunting" rounds,can't recall now what the gr. was,but it was heavy. However,in this case I'm sure the barrel length helped. Hence,my question on a shorter barrel. I was also wondering about maybe Mag-Porting. But I thought that might cause even more of a flash.

Last edited by HKSlinger; 11-20-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My two cents worth if you are using magnum loads can you use only one hand? From the video he had to reposition his hand after every shot. You may not always able to use two hands in a gun fight ( You may have to shoot with your weak hand). Two the recoil made it harder to realign or regain sight picture. If he had to double tap the second shot would have hit the ceiling. The muzzle flash would not only blind the BG but you also if you had to shoot at night. Yes the 44 mag is a man stopper round but you must be able to shoot and hit your target fast. I feel I can get off 7 rounds faster and more accurate with my 45 or 9mm. I feel the 44 mag is not a good defensive carry gun. Bigger is sometimes is not better. Just my HMO.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
My two cents worth if you are using magnum loads can you use only one hand? From the video he had to reposition his hand after every shot. You may not always able to use two hands in a gun fight ( You may have to shoot with your weak hand). Two the recoil made it harder to realign or regain sight picture. If he had to double tap the second shot would have hit the ceiling. The muzzle flash would not only blind the BG but you also if you had to shoot at night. Yes the 44 mag is a man stopper round but you must be able to shoot and hit your target fast. I feel I can get off 7 rounds faster and more accurate with my 45 or 9mm. I feel the 44 mag is not a good defensive carry gun. Bigger is sometimes is not better. Just my HMO.
I can fire one handed quite well with the lighter Fiocchi Magnum loads. I was using the 300 grain penetrator loads in the video, and they have quite a bit more pop than the 240 fodder. I am ordering some Pachmayr Decelerator grips to help with the recoil of the 300 grainers.

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-20-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I love the .44 mag, for the power and the fun that goes with it. I'm also the type of guy that may CC a 29 or 629, mainly because they are classic Smiths and I shoot them well, not because I feel that cartridge is practical for everyday use.

Both of my .44 mags are Rugers and do get carried, however this is mostly in the mountains for bear defense, rather than around town. . . But both guns get shot. . . A LOT. Even with vigorous practice two-handed, one-handed, weak-handed and at various speeds, reload time obviously increases and accuracy decreases quicker than you'd expect. . .

To the OP:
Are you quite an experienced shooter? You mentioned a hog hunt with a longer barreled 629 "years ago". Have you been shooting .44 mags since then??? Do you already have .357s that you carry and shoot often? Do you have a good job that will afford you to shoot several hundred rounds through your gun, to familiarize yourself with it before you trust your life and the lives of others with that gun?

The reason I ask all that is if you ever have to use a short barreled .44 mag for self defense, rather than just carry, it becomes a whole different ball game. There are so many other things to think about other than the comfort of a beastly gun in the pants. . . Bystanders, neighbors, your eyes and ears, the list can be a mile long. I've shot a .357 inside a building with low light as somewhat of a test. OUCH! But I now know what to expect. . .

You may be experienced and comfortable enough with big bores for all I know, but I just had to ask, for my own curiosity if nothing else. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #19

I CCW a Ruger Alaskan with a 2 1/2 barrel. I haven't had any real problems with shooting the beast using anything from a 240-325 grain bullet. I find the shorter barrel to be easier to carry and it's quite accurate out to 25 yards.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #20

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
I CCW a Ruger Alaskan with a 2 1/2 barrel. I haven't had any real problems with shooting the beast using anything from a 240-325 grain bullet. I find the shorter barrel to be easier to carry and it's quite accurate out to 25 yards.
Do you carry it in a holster from Sunrise Leather out of Sarasota, FL? Sunrise Leather,quality handcrafted leather police equipment

These look like the best holsters for the Ruger Alaskan that Ive found.
#1) SL-PRO Alaskan Thumb Break
#2) SL-PRO Alaskan Sport
#3) SL-PRO Alaskan Thumb Break Crossdraw
#4) SL-PRO Alaskan Crossdraw
sl-pro.jpg   sl-pro1.jpg   sl-pro3.jpg  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945