Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .44 Mag Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default .44 Mag Accuracy

Ok,i'm putting myself out there not knowing if this accuracy is good,bad,or average from my gun.I have the S&W 629 .44 mag with 6" barrel,stock sights,I was having really bad accuracy in single action so I got my hand up on the grip higher and actually experimented with a few different holds including Jerry M. style and actually found that the old 1970's Dirty Harry/Death Wish wrist hold gives me the best accuracy in SA.I was using Hornady 300gr XTP's and my target circle is 8",I measured my 2 consistent groups at 2"@15 yards and 3.5"@25 yards and I shot freehanded the whole time.Just seeing what some opinions are as far as hunting whitetail deer with my range,accuracy and bullet selection.Thanks--Ninja

dscf9519.jpg   629.jpg  

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

IMHO shoot double action. When you shoot double action it forces the muscles in your forearm to stiffen giving you a much better grip on the weapon, producing tighter more consistent groupings.

all that being typed, consistent 3.5" at 25 yds will dump a deer every time. (dependent on shot placement of course)

By the By..NICE handcannon!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Keep working at it.

Ninjatoth, a 3.5 inch group at 25 yards is pretty decent. I suggest your next goal will be a 3.5 inch TEN shot slow fire (not blasting) group at 25 yards. Move out to 50 yards and work there as well.

I would suggest using somewhat lighter loads for at least half to two thirds of your practice time. A 240 grain lead bullet at 1000 will be easier on your hands, your gun, your nerves and your wallet.

By the way, if you plan on seriously working on this, you need to start reloading unless you are independently wealthy.

And Yes! Shoot double action. This develops sight alignment and picture better than single action shooting will. Also, keep track of every shot. When the gun goes off, you should know EXACTLY where the sights were on the target. If you don't, you aren't watching the sights.

Still, keep working at it. You are doing well and can do better.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
Ninjatoth, a 3.5 inch group at 25 yards is pretty decent. I suggest your next goal will be a 3.5 inch TEN shot slow fire (not blasting) group at 25 yards. Move out to 50 yards and work there as well.

I would suggest using somewhat lighter loads for at least half to two thirds of your practice time. A 240 grain lead bullet at 1000 will be easier on your hands, your gun, your nerves and your wallet.

By the way, if you plan on seriously working on this, you need to start reloading unless you are independently wealthy.

And Yes! Shoot double action. This develops sight alignment and picture better than single action shooting will. Also, keep track of every shot. When the gun goes off, you should know EXACTLY where the sights were on the target. If you don't, you aren't watching the sights.

Still, keep working at it. You are doing well and can do better.
Too expand on these thoughts a bit (GREAT advice OldMan)...Something you can do sitting right there in your computer chair to help your accuracy is load your cylinder with your spent casings, find a spot on your wall, sight in on it and work on working your trigger. When the hammer falls your sights should be right where they where as you were dropping your hammer. (dry fire practice) This may seem kooky, but believe me,( i know/learned from personal experience) it works.

Also, 240 gr JHP or FN round is more than enough to drop a whitetail efficiently.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Dry firing is a great training tool. To add on to that, put a penny on the top of the frame, practice keeping steady and firing without falling the penny. Otherwise, you might be anticipating/jerking and that will only further aid to your frustration.

When I was first learning to shoot, the old man would randomly load the cylinders with spent cases and live. It will show you in definitely I'd you are anticipating the shot

( don't do this at the computer chair though.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I developed almost all of my handgun marksmanship through dry-fire practice. I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to anyone seriously wanting to improve their ability to accurately shoot a handgun.

I used to shoot 6" square targets at 50 yards, off hand, with my Raging Bull .44. I never ONCE missed at that distance. I used to be able to hit the 12" gong at 100 yards, off-hand 5/6 shots on average, with elevation being much more difficult for me than windage (because most of my early dry-fire practice was with a combat handgun on silhouette-shaped targets, so elevation was never really an issue). I stopped shooting the Bull as much after a frustrating day of inaccuracy. I could probably work something back up, but I have other guns now that I shoot more so I haven't really gotten around to it.

But, good news is I was able to print a 1.75" group at 25 yards with my new 9mm, so I was quite happy with that .

But, 3.5" off-hand is a VERY nice group, especially if you haven't done a whole lot of practice!