44. Mag
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 44. Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 44. Mag

Am 14 years old and weight 80-90 pounds and I want to shoot a 44. Mag anything I need to know

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This guy was a marine all his life and at the end of the video he said he didn't want to shoot the .44 mag a second time.

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 02-15-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Dont choke it to death. The 44 mag is really not that bad to shoot. It is a heavy gun as is suitable for its power level. I am not a big guy and did not have a problem with the Ruger Red Hawk I owned. A lot of people make it out to be more than it is. My daughter fired it with no problem and has shot her husbands S&W. My 13 year old grandson shot his dads S&W. His only problem was holding it up for more than a few shots at a time.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-15-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #4

Liked 5010 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Your bi line tells my you've done some wing shooting?

If you can handle a 12 G shotgun, you can handle a .44 Magnum.

And don't worry about what the former Marine said. Everyone knows real men join the Army and choose the Infantry.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 02-15-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The 44 mag and 357 mag are both great rounds and no big deal to handle. Step up to 454 Casull or one of the Linebaugh rounds and you will have a slightly different experience. Just get a nice Ruger, S&W, etc., 44 mag and enjoy yourself.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 305 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You can allways start with 44 special ammo. Atleast for the firt box full. keep your brass for reloading too. Sa revolvers tend to roll up in the hand. DA revolvers for the most part push back more than up and don't have the roll that a SA style revolver has. Grips can change how they feel to. A soft rubber grips on a DA will make holding on easier too and the 2 main grip makes offer very different designs. Like pachmayr and hogue.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #7

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think you need to be prepared for some serious recoil. I have a .357 Magnum and I always thought it kicked a lot. I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. My .44 mag kicks a lot more than my .357 mag, no comparison. I use full loads in both of these handguns. I am not trying to scare you but on more than one occasion I have seen a .44 mag pistol fly back and strike the shooter in the head because they were not prepared for he recoil.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
This guy was a marine all his life and at the end of the video he said he didn't want to shoot the .44 mag a second time.
Actually, R. Lee Ermey was a a Marine for 11 years before receiving a medical discharge. Although he is a combat verteran, I have never seen any indication that he is an accomplished shooter, let alone one that has experience with heavily recoiling handguns. Judging by the fact that his left hand came completely off of the grip, and the way the gun recoiled, I would guess that he has either never shot truly powerful handguns, or that he was putting on a bit of a show for the camera. Either way, it is not representative of the level of recoil and it's effect on the shooter when proper shooting techniques are employed.

My nephew has been shooting since he was quite young, has been taught how to properly position his body and how to grip the gun to dissipate recoil. He is now 16 years old, and not above average in size, but has shot many heavy recoiling handguns for several years. Get some good instruction and start with milder loads before trying the heavy hitters. Dealing with recoil is learned, and it has little to do with physical size or strength.

JW

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I think he was just on his toes and not holding the gun tight. It's definitely got a little kick, but I'd imagine his reaction had more to do with being off balance.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #10

Liked 2688 Times on 1751 Posts

A 44's recoil has a lot to do with barrel length. If its one of those 2 inch Alaskan deals use it for a boat anchor. An 8-9 inch barrel shoots pretty nice but you still want to hold on real snug. Specials is a good idea to start. As always, saftey first then enjoy.

Feral cat waterboarder